FAT32, you have been pwned!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Michael CM1, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

OK, not really, but FAT32 as the best sharing file system between Macs and PCs is no more.

I bought a My Passport 250GB drive this weekend (for $89!) and wanted to have it available to use between both Macs and PCs. It came formatted as FAT32 just like my flash drives have, so I started copying files over.

Problem is I have a disc image I need stored there that is 7+GB. FAT32's file limit is 4GB. Well, there goes that. I went with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and I'll just have to let it sit there and not do everything I was hoping for.

So basically, the discussion is: is there (or will there be) a new file system for disks (not CDFS) that allows interopability and very large files? If HD videos ever become downloadable, they will top 4GB (especially in 1080p). I know this isn't much of a big deal with networks, but I'd love to port this little drive around to other places that may or may not have Macs.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

A cross platform format, probably not anytime soon. Although, they may try to adopt UDF for some drives - that may work at some point.

3. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

I have a feeling that nobody's going to work *too* hard on it because of the networking cop-out. I just wish someone could've thought about this a few years ago since many many files are more than 4GB when you get into disk images and HD video. Why can't computers be perfect? :)

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

They try, but they're engineered by humans.

5. Metuas macrumors regular

Metuas

You could try Paragon or 3G (NTFS-RW) for Mac, or MacDrive (HFS+-RW) for Windows. IMO MacDrive works better, but do whatever you like.

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

Hey! Stop throwing stones. This is a glass house, you know! ;) :p

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

All my windows are broke, so I'm going to keep on throwing ... :D

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

Have at it then! :D
    I'm just glad it's not me who gets to clean the mess. :p