Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RWonk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
I am new to these forums. I am also new to Macs. I just got a new Mac Book for Christmas and so far I love it. I have a Windows only program I use so after some research bought and installed VMWare Fusion. The problem is when I tried loading Windows XP Professional SP2, I get a message saying: Fatal error 'ASMS' file missing. Any ideas as to how I can remedy this??? Please keep in mind that I am pretty computer stupid.

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI
Are you getting that error in the initial setup stage? i.e. the blue screen file copying stage? That may indicate a bad cd read, for example a scratch. Check for scratches or even a fingerprint on the cd rom can cause that sort of error.

What I have done in the past to speed up the install process is make an .iso image of the cd rom on hard drive and use that image to perform the install. The image creation process can also help to show up any disk read errors.

Let me know if you want to try the method I described and I'll post the instructions.

RWonk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
No. The files copied OK I think. It was during the "Installing Windows" part when the error message comes up. ???? And as I said, I am "puter stupid". what exactly is an iso image?? :eek:

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI
So the first screen comes up, copying files, then the reboot, then the fancier blue install screen with the fascinating messages and the progress bar on the left, is that right? Is that where you see the error?

Ok, that Microsoft article kinda points to what my second thought was. The VM does not have access to the physical CD for whatever reason.

Try this:

1. Use this article to make a disk image of the cd rom: http://www.slashdotdash.net/articles/2006/08/14/create-iso-cd-dvd-image-with-mac-os-x-tiger-10-4 It works with Leopard as well.

2. In Fusion, before starting your vm (Virtual Machine), go into the settings of that vm

3. On the left click on Removable Devices

4. Then click on CD/DVD and on the right panel, ensure that the "Connected" is checked.

5. Then below, check the "Use disk image:" and select the .iso you created in step 1.

6. Click on Apply and boot up the VM.

At this point you should have removed the physical CD rom from the drive to ensure the VM is booting ok from the image.

Let me know if that works for you.

If you get really stuck, and you're on Leopard, we might be able to use Screen Sharing to get this resolved.

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI
Just one last thing you can try before attempting the above steps.

When you run the install and the file copying process has completed and the VM is rebooting. Stop it so it powers down the guest. Ensure that you have the CD "Connected" checked in the settings, then power it up. That may work before having to try the steps I outlined above.

FYI, I have performed 1 install using the physical media, but every successive install has been with the .iso cd image or via clones.

RWonk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Thanks for the info. I will try this later today when time allows. I will post my progress here. Again, thank you.

RWonk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
OK, I am not stuck because I didn't even get started. I need a "MAC for dummies" or something I guess because I am uncertain of some/all of the terms used let alone how to make this work. I guess what I'm saying is I need someone to translate to layman terms like "insert cd into drive, click here, drag this to here". :eek::eek::eek:

theskylinebass

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2007
I know this thread is old, and probably solved many times over....

But when you get to the fancier windows install screen in VM Ware Fusion, if it brings up an error stating something like "please insert the service pack 2 disc" and you already have the disc in your mac, simply click "settings" in the VM fusion window, then select CD/DVD and makes sure the little box that says "connected" is checked.

This saved me from physically abusing my macbook, I hope it helps someone else too...

SirCharlieBrown

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2008
Thanks!!

Skylinebass' solution worked!!! It will save everyone a lot of headache. Thanks for taking the time to post!!!!

de4golf

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2009
Loading XP on Mac

When the prompt comes us asking "file 'asms' on windows XP Service Pack
X is needed, go directly to settings at top of screen

Select the CD/DVD setting option

The connect box was already checked for me
Manually select the name of your disc writer

Everything worked fine from then on

Saves going to iso image,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.