Fatal Error running Torchlight

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Takeo Rey, May 12, 2010.

1. Takeo Rey macrumors newbie

I decided to put steam on my Macbook 09 unibody and had Torchlight up and running really well. Next time I tried running it, I switched the settings to Notebook mode and that's when it crashed on me. I tried restarting it and I got a popup saying:

Fatal Error
    Steam must be running to play this game (SteamAPI_Init() failed).

But I have Steam on when this happens... I've tried erasing the game and re-downloading and reinstalling but I still get the same error.

Any ideas on what to do or try?

2. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

i got that too.. i'd like to know a solution as well

3. chrstphr macrumors newbie

i have the same error as well and according to runic forums, they are preparing a patch to fix the error.

4. Takeo Rey thread starter macrumors newbie

I found this on the Steam forums and I tried this earlier, it solved my problems. Give it a shot and it should work. I also changed the Netbook mode as well.

It looks at least one of the main crashes on the Mac version is caused by disabling the 'Render Behind' option (the x-ray vision feature that lets you see your character and baddies behind walls). Hopefully a fix will be released soon - but in the meantime you may be able to get it working by manually editing the settings text file located at:

user/Library/Application Support/runic games/torchlight/local_settings.txt

You'll need to find the line that says:

RENDERBEHIND :0

and change it to:

RENDERBEHIND :1

You'll also need to make sure that you do *NOT* start in 'Safe Mode.' If you've already entered the safe-mode option - just take it out.

You could also potentially just delete the local_settings.txt file. As long as you're not starting in safe-mode, the game should re-create it in a configuration that should work fine on most Macs.​

5. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

tried this. not only did it not change the rendering but i still got a crash. i am getting a crash about 5 hours into the game and cannot continue...

6. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

just tried deleting the file, and now it doesn't even come up at all