Fatal error when installing drives with bootcamp CD

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Jnardis, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

I keep getting the following error 3 quarters of the way:
    STOP: C000021A "Fatal system error. The windows subsystem process terminated un expectedly w/ a status of OX C000005. System shut down. It's a blue screen with white letter.

I'm using Office XP Service Pack 2 with imac OSX Install DVD version 10.6.3.

The steps I'm taking are:
    Log onto my mac and use pre installed bootcamp to partition the drive. I'm using 32GB of space. Then I use my xp Prof w/ service pack 2 cd to install xp. At this time everything is working fine except for the missing drives. Then I put the bootcamp cd that came with my imac into the iMac and run bootcamp. It looks like everything is working perfectly. The imac is finding wireless internet and all the drives look like they are working fine until out of no where a blue screen pops up and states what I wrote below. There is nothing else on the screen. I'm using a 27 inch imac that i bought about 5 weeks ago new.

Thanks for u help.

Any idea what's causing this?

2. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

the only thing I can thing of is that your bootcamp drivers may not be the correct ones. There was an update recently. However, with that update, it may have possibly disabled XP support? Unfortunately, I don't know for certain. But that's all I can think of currently. I remember when I installed Windows 7 on my mac it yelled at me for not having the update, so give that a shot I suppose

3. Jnardis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I don't have any updates when I log onto the Mac side of the computer. The disc I'm using is the one that came with iMac which is only 5 weeks old. Are you talking about an updated CD?

4. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I don't know about an updated CD, but when I installed windows 7 it made me update my bootcamp drivers to 3.1 first. So somehow, if you can find out how to do that, you may be good to go.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

There was a case not long ago where the disc that was shipped with the Mac was for the wrong Mac model. Apple replaced the discs.

B

6. Jnardis thread starter macrumors 6502a

I called Apple support. They said I have the right CD for the iMac. They said this problem happens every once in a while and there isn't anything they could do for me. I don't think they want to help me since I'm dealing with Windows...

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yeah, Apple's "support" for Windows is minimal.

You could try to manually extract the drivers you need from the disc, and the 3.1 and 3.2 updaters.

Also, I see you mention only XP SP2, any reason you haven't applied SP3? You can download it to your Mac and apply it before you try other things.

B

8. longpath macrumors member

longpath

I have a similar issue. I was able to work around the driver part; but I can not install the BootCamp Control Panel applet because the installer triggers a BSOD every time I try the installation.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Which Mac?
    Which Windows?
    Which version of the Boot Camp Drivers?

B