Father forgot password

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by cfedu, Nov 9, 2014.

1. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

My father forgot his icloud password and I can't seem to recover it with email as he also forgot that password and he can't answer the security questions.

His iPad 2 has a problem and I wanted to restore the iPad and then make my father a new user ID. I noticed that find my iPad was enabled and that got me thinking that I could brick his iPad if i restored it since i don't have the his iCloud password.

I Have owned this iPad since new and gave it to my Father as a present a few years ago. The iPad was originally registered in my name, do you think Apple will be able help me restore the Ipad without bricking it?

2. Alonso Quijano macrumors 6502

Apple won't remove Activation Lock for you, even if you have proof of purchase or whatever

3. eww7633 macrumors regular

That's not true, at all. You can submit a proof of purchase for review. As long as it's valid (from a real Apple Authorized Distributor, has all the pertinent information), you have a good chance to have it removed. Again, it has to be VALID though, not something from a pawn shop, or something you wrote yourself, etc.

4. Alonso Quijano macrumors 6502

Sorry, I didn't know that changed :eek: You're completely right though my bad!

5. g.t. rags macrumors 6502

my mom recently had a giant issue, with 3 apple id's she created over the years, and 4 email addresses, 1 of which was a dead work email from her job that went out of business after 25 years of employment....

a total of 4 and a half hours on the phone with tech support over the course of 4 days, they walked me through everything. the giant chunk of it was over the course of one night, and then 2 phone calls because they had to unlock a username that there system was jamming up because only steve knows why.

she had 2 devices that were locked up between 3 apple id's.... i got down to the bottom of the barrel with solutions with them, and only had 1 left if the last didn't work, and that was to walk down to an apple store with original proof of purchase, and they would unlock the phone for me. had a case number and everything, but the only reason they were willing to do this was because i was able to prove ownership of the device and the ID....

so before you give up, call apple care and explain very clearly and be patient... you may know information to recover your id that you don't even know you know that they can walk you through.

i was even apologizing to them on the phone because i was getting so frustrated because it was something so simple that had gotten screwed up (have a broken jaw right now so i've been out of work for a bit and medicated and have a speech impediment) and things were just taking so long.... they eventually escalated me to this awesome supervisor who almost took my issue personally because it happened with his kids....

6. cfedu thread starter macrumors 65816

cfedu

I just got off the phone with Apple was able to answer one of the security questions which never showed up when I tried online. The Rep said that since I was only able to answer one question that there would be a 24 hour delay to reset the password. They will send me an email tomorrow with the reset instructions and will have a 3 hour window to do so.

7. g.t. rags macrumors 6502

apples customer tech support is = to no ones..... if the person you get can't help you they will no doubt find someone that can