Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Hey guys, I am still racking my brain for a good Father's Day gift, so I thought it might be a good idea for a community discussion. My ideas so far are:

Kindle - Negative, he doesn't like reading.
Ratcheting wrench set - He already has two sets of regular wrenches.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Hey guys, I am still racking my brain for a good Father's Day gift, so I thought it might be a good idea for a community discussion. My ideas so far are:

Kindle - Negative, he doesn't like reading.
Ratcheting wrench set - He already has two sets of regular wrenches.

What does he like to do? What interests him? Instead of trying to think of something to buy - and, if he doesn't like reading, a Kindle is a waste of money as a gift - think instead, of him, and what he likes, and enjoys doing.

My father liked a good bottle of wine, he also loved music (so he and I used to go to concerts together, sometimes, but not always classical music, in fact, I got him tickets to a Michael Nyman concert one year which he loved) and good clothes.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
If you are in the same town, how about spending some time with him. Go to a movie, go on a hike, go to a ball game, etc.

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I am just taking my dad out for breakfast.

The guy just bought himself a new car, can't really top that. :p :cool:

I took my dad to a concert once a few years back. But he's so into using his iPhone to take pictures and videos (they tease him about this as work - "Oh, you probably took pictures, didn't you?!" whenever he's talking about anything) so this last time I was like, yeah, mom would probably enjoy this so much more with me.

Saying that, he's looking into an upgrade from his iPhone 4, but I can't really afford to buy him something that expensive.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
My dad doesn't really do Father's Day. He describes it as something invented by Clinton Cards.
So I'll be dropping him a text. My daughter won't even acknowledge the day (or Mother's Day).
But for those of you who do celebrate it, I'd say give all the cliched gifts in the store. Nobody wants a worlds best dad mug.
Spend some time with your with your old man, as that's what he would apprietate the most.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I agree with the previous replies: TIME.

My father died at 57 over 20+ years ago and I'm still mad that I have no one to spend time with on Father's Day.

Last edited:
Reactions: rick snagwell

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Ok, I love all of these ideas and I will certainly use them. What I ended up doing is buying those vintage 'Visit sunny xxxx' travel posters from all of our family vacations. He loves memories and vintage posters, so I'm sure he'll love these for his office

Reactions: jbachandouris

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
But for those of you who do celebrate it, I'd say give all the cliched gifts in the store. Nobody wants a worlds best dad mug.

You can't go wrong with the classic; get him a tie.:oops: I swear, if my kids give me a tie, I will throttle them with it.:mad::mad: I lack a fondness for the silk noose and cliche gifts.

My kids are young, so my ideal fathers day gift would be a day of silence.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I receive a paper tie from my son a few years back with his picture on it. That was cool.

For the record, I do wear ties, but I prefer to buy my own as I want one I will actually wear.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
My sister and I got my dad a gift certificate to one of his favorite seafood restaurants in Rhode Island. My sister will be flying in July and we all be spending a week together at their vacation house, so it's essentially a meal for all of us together.

My father is really the hardest person I've ever known to buy a gift for. He's a simple guy, and there is really nothing he needs and nothing he wants. Spending time with his family is what I perceive as the most important thing to him.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.