Fault Graphics Card? Display? something else? MBP 15inch 2.2ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johndoe101, Jun 23, 2009.

1. johndoe101 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys/Gals,

A few days ago my laptop started playing up, display goes psychedelic colours and then freezes. After a restart (holding down the power button) it displays a grey screen (with funky pinstripes) requesting to restart the computer again. After doing this a few times (cursing and threatening the laptop with destruction) it eventually loads as normal, this lasts for anywhere from 5mins to a few hours, before going psychedelic and freezing again.

I believe my laptop (bought in October 2007) may be the series with the
    problem Nvidia Graphics Card, but wondering if based on the photos i've attached, recognise the problem?

I'll be heading to an Apple Store tomorrow to chat to someone at the Genius Bar...but curious to hear what you guys/gals have to say.

Cheers,
    Marty

Attached Files:

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

3. johndoe101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Noodle654,

Thanks for the super speedy reply.
    Do they just replace the video card?

Marty

4. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

They usually replace the entire logic board, as the video card is soldered to it. But, they might replace more than that. Sometimes they may replace the HDD, Superdrive, anything really. I highly recommend backing up your computer before you go to the Genius.

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

They replace the motherboard (as it is inbuilt onto that), take it to apple asap, they might replace it for free.

I emphasise might because I'm not sure if this is the issue they are covering.

6. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Apple SHOULD replace it for free. Apple will do a test to see if the nVidia card is the problem, if it is they will repair it for free. However, plenty of people here have had issues with Genius's not repairing the computer because it doesn't pass the test, even though their screens look like yours or it had a black screen. You should be fine though, you most definitely have the nVidia issue.

7. johndoe101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Booked into the Genius bar

Hi All,

Thanks for your help.

I've made a booking to see an Apple Genius tomorrow.

My laptop is still under the 3 year Apple Protection Plan, so I can't imagine having to pay for it to be fixed? They've been kind enough to replace the whole display panel when a bug (a physical insect) somehow crawled into the screen (between the LCD panels). Took the phrase 'my computer has a bug' to another level.

Cheers,
    Marty

8. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

You will be fine if you have AppleCare. I assumed that you had the standard 1 year, so I applied Apple adding 3 years for nVidia 8600 cards in MBPs. Who knows, maybe the Genius will just give you a new Unibody. :D

9. iphong macrumors member

iphong

Even if you don't have Apple Care, Apple still replaces your logic board for free if the problem caused by bad nvidia graphic card manufactured between 2007 and early 2008.

Apple rocks.

10. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Ahhhh, ok I didnt realise you had Applecare, you'll be fine then, as long as there's no major bumps or dents (they get a bit funny about it), it should be all plane sailing for you.

11. johndoe101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Please give me a Unibody!

I'm gussing it's more feasible (cost wise) to replace the logic board...but a new 15 inch Unibody would be my ideal option.

I've backed up everything via Time Machine in the event they mess with my HDD.

Cheers,
    Marty

12. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

They will not give you a unibody, I can tell you that right now, don't even ask for one, you'll get a replacement motherboard and that is all...

13. johndoe101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Faulty Graphics Card

I wasn't expecting them to throw a new computer at me.
    They've taken my laptop for a week to replace the logicboard.

14. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Ok, sorry to be brutal, but if you made a fuss about getting a uMBP it wouldn't have ended in your favour :p