Fault on my new MPB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PS65, Nov 1, 2008.

1. PS65 macrumors 6502

Hi, only got it yesterday. Noticed when I was walking back to it, that on an angle there is a dark patch on the screen!

To be honest, it is only visible when look at an angle and on a plain white background...I think I am being paranoid.

Anyone else care to look for me on theirs? Low backlight required and just a white background.

I'm not going to return it, because you really cant see it unless at an angle and in law light.

Attached Files:

2. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

Yep, had a look on mine, and also have that slight dappled effect, not as pronounced as yours though, and hardly visible on lowest brightness and white background (and at an extreme angle)
    Definitely not a reason to return a machine that is in every other respect perfect.

3. PS65 thread starter macrumors 6502

The picture makes it look worse than it is. Cool, thanks god its normal :D

Actually, the only thing wrong with mine was the CNC did not cut a perfect square under the '6' key, again not noticeable unless you look at the keys carefully and from above! Took it into the Apple store, gave me £50 instore credit to say sorry.

4. 7even macrumors 6502a

I had something like that on my first two, except it was a lot worse. New one has a totally even screen from all angles... If it isn't bothering you then you're fine :p

5. WilliamG macrumors G3

Both my MBP 2.53s are like that to some extent. One is "worse" than the other, but they're both only visible from extreme angles like that. Never under normal usage.

6. PS65 thread starter macrumors 6502

If I lean on my hand I can sometimes see it and it is getting a little annoying. However, if you look at a monitor how you should, i.e. face on, nothing is visible.

I will see how I go. I took out AppleCare, so if it gets really bad - I will ask them to replace the screen.

If you guys say you have a similar problem, on angles - maybe I am being fussy!?!

7. PS65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Any idea's guy. It actually started bothering me because I am noticing it more and more.

If I ask Apple for a new one, will they send the whole package, or just the laptop?

Thanks

8. spgiva macrumors regular

spgiva

Well if they replace it they will send you a whole new package, but they may want to take a look at it and see if it can be repaired first so you may be without a computer for a few days, and you will need to back everything up before you hand it over to apple as you will not necessarily be able to transfer the info from the old new MBP to the new new MBP.

good luck

9. PS65 thread starter macrumors 6502

The lady on the phone just offered me a replacement when I complained about the keyboard cut out. I will have to ring up tomorrow.

Just spoke to Apple Store in Bristol and they say this should not happen and that I should request a new one.

If they offer me a replacement straight out, will they still want this one back first? Another 2 weeks waiting for my MPB?

10. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

omg, here you go....and the next one is going to have a sloped keyboard....then it will drive you nuts so you'll exchange it.....the next one will have dead pixels and a loose battery cover....so you'll exchange it....the one after that won't close flush and have a gap on one side....each time you'll be out a computer for abo 2-3 weeks and you never know what you'll be getting back.

Slippery slope my friend. Just look at it straight on like you're supposed to. Why do you care what it looks like from extreme angles? If your machine is otherwise in good condition keep it and enjoy it.

11. PS65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Who said extreme angle? If you have nothing useful to say, why don't you do something useful with your life as oppose to argue on here? If Apple themselves say this is a defect which should not be visible, then I think I have a good reason to argue this time. I think I know what I expect from a £2200 machine.

12. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Ok, fine you said "angle" sorry no idea where I got that extreme part from. :rolleyes:

I thought I was saying something useful and saving you the aggravation of getting caught up in getting a machine that has worse problems than something that isn't noticeable under normal use. There's something to be learned by the experience of others on this forum even if its not what you want to hear. I'm hardly arguing, go ahead & return it.

Thanks for being rude.

13. UMHurricanes34 macrumors 65816

UMHurricanes34

I completely, whole-heartedly agree.

Don't roll the dice with Apple right now. No way.

I have my MBP, it has one dead pixel, but I'm keeping the damned thing because it has no other issues. I'm not going to risk getting a plethora of other issues over one dead pixel.

No thanks.