Faults of the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikesown, Oct 15, 2007.

1. mikesown macrumors member

I think most people here agree that the iPhone is a revolutionary product. Let me begin by saying that I do not own an iPhone. I've played around with one in the Apple store, and I think it's cool. One person I know(who uses his phone a TON each day, and gets 50 messages a day at least) had an iPhone for a few weeks, then ditched it. The reasons were not because EDGE was slow; here are the reasons:

- Battery life was too short. 6 hours ain't enough if you're using the phone a lot each day and don't remember to charge it up.

- No way to check voicemail if the battery goes out. While Visual Voicemail is nice, it's useless if your iPhone is dead.

What do you think? Are there any other major faults that prevent widespread iPhone adoption?

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i think the iphone battery life is great, especially compared to other smart phones in the market. with moderate web use, i get a good two days out of my phone, easy. also, checking messages isn't exclusive to visual voicemail. if your battery goes dead, you can call your voicemail from any land line (or any phone for that matter) to access your messages.

3. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

Someone who relies on their phone
    that much should remember to charge.
    Voicemail can be accessed fron any
    other phone.

4. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I get on average about 7 1/2 hours of use and 4 days stand by - this is far better than any phone I personally have owned. Its very easy to cary the charger or the cord and plug it in if needed - just like with any other phone.

He is wrong here. You can call your phone number and access you voice mail from any phone. The iPhone downloads a sound file of the message and leaves the original message in your AT&T mailbox until you erase the message from the phone.

5. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

For me, its the frequent crashing of Safari!!

6. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

Sure there are faults in pretty much every new product that comes out and nothing ever is perfect. However I do not believe that there are enough faults to ditch the phone. What we need is third party apps and to keep in contact with apple about the features we desire.

7. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Whilst i agree the phone isn't perfect the reasons your friend gave for ditching it are ridiculous IMHO.

Battery life of the iPhone for the most part is superior to majority if not all smart phones out there

As for voicemail...you can call to check your messages as mentioned by others and the fact that you can't check vmail if the phone is dead is the same for all phones out there so i'm not sure what your friends point was??.

But then again your friend may have had a faulty phone/battery

8. shrewsburywolf macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

For me every product has it pro's and con's thats the beauty of choice, you weigh up what works best for you, and if that isn't the iPhone, then don't buy it! For me the pro's far outweigh the con's, and that's why I will be buying an iPhone.

9. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

No offense, but I think the entire premise of your post is misguided.

It sounds like your friend was looking for reasons to not like the iPhone and found some.

10. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

The iPhone is not everything to everyone.... I find it funny that you mention that he used it a TON. That's why he was killing the battery, because he was using it. I find my battery needs to be charged every day, but I've never had a phone that I use this much. To compare it evenly, I have to include into the picture my laptop that I don't use on the road anymore....

One bonus of the iPhone, it seems that everyone I know has an iPod/iPhone charger....

Oh, and yes, I check my voicemail all the time without the iPhone. I also frequently pop my SIM into a Motorola phone without visual voicemail when I'm motocross riding, or need my phone unlocked when in Mexico.

You can look for solutions, or you can look for excuses. OP has a friend that looked for the latter.

11. xA4Hx macrumors member

Battery will always be an issue, I can only think of one phone that issue isnt really there and it isnt a pda phone. I restored my phone a couple times today to fix the battery measure, because recently my battery doesnt seem to be lasting as long on smaller usage so after much restoring it seems to be much lower then it was so good time to charge to get more out of it. Found this offered as a battery solution in another thread.

Really there isnt much in faults for this phone, Safari doesnt seem to crash that much at all, it might be the type of websites or what not. It rarely crashes for me.

Visual voicemail seems to once in a while want to be resetup though, it may be just me on that.

I am actually very satisified in this phone performane, every new one that comes out first thing on my list will always be a better battery, it can always improve and with more usage, expect more battery drain so more intergation , more battery life.

-A4H

Ps. Just my thoughts on the subject, I had by far more issues with with windows mobile operating system.

12. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Safari crashing and music abruptly stopping (whilst in Safari) are the only concerns I have. But most likely these are software related so I imagine it'll be fixed.

13. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

14. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Safari crashes unexpectedly too...weird. Granted its not perfect, I still love the device.

True unless you're a rebel like me and many thousands of others who have unlocked their iPhones to use with their GSM provider so we don't have to be stuck with AT&T for 2 years...

15. xA4Hx macrumors member

I think this ATT only thing people need to get over or learn to join the group of what he called Rebels. Most of the time when you sign with any US carrier it is only with that carrier can you get that phone. CDMA phones defintely not a chance of unlocking from what I seen. Granted gsm phones you can unlock alot of them but of course u got to pay that sticker price , the unactivitated to buy it that way. Of course i am now going in a direction , I know that is going to lead to alot of debate. So let me close it with this

If you want lets say Phone A

You got two choices if it is GSM.

A. MAN up and quit bitching and unlock it but dont **** it up or youll pay the price.

B. Sign with the carrier and take it for what it is

-A4H

Ps. Pick a choice, a Fault of the phone isnt carrier dependent.

16. pedroistheman macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

I say give me your friend's number. If he really wants to "ditch" his iPhone because of the battery life and voicemail, tell him there are many people out there willing to accept his.:)

17. thomasfxlt macrumors 6502

Uh....millions? It's no where near that number of unlocked phones. Apple hasn't sold 2 million yet total. There might be 10% unlocked (and I think that's a high estimate).

18. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

You're right, I wasn't thinking correctly. Probably about 200,000.

19. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

every product will have faults. I'm happy with my iPhone regardless though.