Faulty 24" LED display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dudi, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Dudi macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I bought my first ACD 9 days ago and now I'm on my third one! They've had varying problems but the 2nd and the 3rd have been fairly similar.

On a white background there is a definite colour gradient from a slight pink hue to white horizontally. I've tried calibrating, changing between graphic cards on my MBP but nothing has helped. The problem on the 2nd display was slightly different as there was a gradient from green to pink diagonally and because of this I've ruled out the problem cause being the MBP.

This issue is driving me nuts! If someone could shed some light or have any possible solutions I'd be extremely grateful.

2. integrat.ethis macrumors regular

I've got a red to blue gradient on mine. And that's my third. First had white to yellow, second had green to white. And there's a slight chance that I'm having this same conversation with you on the Apple support forums.

3. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Yep, I bet we're all in the same thread on the Apple forums.

4. Dudi thread starter macrumors newbie

Seems we are!

It's such an annoying problem and to make things worse I've realised the MBP has the pink hue all over at a whole new level. I've been so obsessed with the ACD I only checked the MBP for the problem today and it's much worse on that.

I'll be exchanging the MBP tomorrow but I have a feeling it's either faulty panels or a manufacturing defect which will take more time than I have to correct.

I'll report back to see if a new MBP makes any difference (which I doubt it will).

5. integrat.ethis macrumors regular

hahaha, the only three guys on the internet with this problem. Definitely let me know if you ever manage to get a good ACD.

I guess I'm lucky my MBP display is more or less pristine. Maybe a bit of yellowing at the bottom, but nothing you notice at all unless you're looking for it. And I'm pretty obsessive when it comes to such things. (It does have the backlight bleeding at the bottom, but that doesn't bother me, as I have the ACD for games and whatnot.)

So they're out there, and you'll get a good one!

6. ZAK248313 macrumors member

When mine's been on for a few hours I get slight flickering colour shifts every now and then. Annoying.

7. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

I went tonight to the apple store for this problem (color temperature is cooler on upper right corner). Genius tells me he'll exchange it, but it's within spec. You can't expect a perfect color balance, it's inherent LCDs or so he says.

So he brings out a new one (my fifth total!) and I open it, 3 specs of dust under the screen.... Gets an exchange approved after again saying this is within spec... I tell him to screw it, and get my money back.

I will miss my 5 ACD LED displays :(

8. integrat.ethis macrumors regular

That sucks, man. Doesn't make me feel too good about my scheme of getting a repair done latter. But my trump card is that weird color temperature "flickering" when it gets really hot. I figure I can get mine replaced under that pretext.

9. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

I'd say from S-IPS panels, which is supposedly what's in ACD's it shouldn't be an issue getting accurate color.