Faulty 4S.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CrazyRussian540, Oct 14, 2011.

1. CrazyRussian540 macrumors member

Wondering if anyone else has got a faulty 4S delivered today, or if I'm the first one to have to go to an Apple Store and get a replacement.

My issue was I had a faulty screen/backlight. There was some washthrough with a bunch of streaks on it. Took it to Apple and they confirmed that I'm not crazy. The following is a rant I'm cross posting from another forum I'm on.

2. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

What did the backlight/wash trough look like.?..my screen is slightly warmer then my iPhone 4 and at the top of the screen where the time and battery info is. I have minor backlight issues and some yellow blotching from glue on the top upper right side. Which apparently goes away.

3. kycophpd macrumors 6502a

kycophpd

Had to take my wife's phone to the store for replacement. While restoring from iCloud, it shut off then came back on to the Apple logo and then started some text across that screen that ended with "we're hanging here". I performed restore under iTunes...same thing.

Took it and they got error 21 so they replaced it with a new unit. My only complaint is since I bought it thru apple.com not direct from that store, they would only give me a replacement phone so her box and serial number do not match. Still a new phone but they got it from one of the black boxes for replacements. If I had bought it from that store, they would have just given me a new box and phone.

In the end, it does not matter much.

4. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I just wonder if my display being a bit Warmer looking is a bad thing plus a bit of backlight bleed on the top.

5. CrazyRussian540 thread starter macrumors member

There was a streak of a brighter area going from the bottom left corner towards the center of the phone about half an inch thick. The guys at the Apple store called it a "finger print like smudge"... but on the screen under the glass.

That what they told me they had to do, but I guess they felt kind of bad for steering me in the complete wrong direction at first, and the fact that by that time I had already spent an hour and a half at the store trying to get a replacement that they gave me a whole new phone still sealed in its box. But that naturally caused all the complications with ATT. Go figure, try doing something nice for the kid, end up making things worse :p. But oh well, I came out of there with everything working, so I'm going to be thankful for that.

6. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

Looks like the iPhone 4 has a slight yellow tint.... could be normal...some people claim this yellow makes the screen look brighter but more washed out....

7. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

You mean 4S?

Mine is exactly as you say - yellowish and washed out. reading Wolfram alpha answers is almost impossible. There's no contrast. Hell, my 3GS looks awesome next to this.

I'll be taking it back for a replacement.

8. vseera macrumors regular

Have you guys upgraded to iOS 5 on your iP4 and seen if its the same?

After the upgrade to iOS 5, my screen looks a little washed out as well. Maybe its just the colours of the OS and not the phone hardware itself.

9. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

Can u post a picture... Wanna see if mine is the same?

10. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

I did mean the 4S sorry guys

11. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

Here's a photo. The other phone is still on ios4. Its tone is between mine (yellowish) and my 3GS (not pictured). This photo makes it look better than it really is.

Trying to read the smaller text on this yellowish tinted washed out screen with little contrast is actually quite difficult.

I'm going to give it a week or so though to see if anything changes and if it's still the same I'll take it in and talk to Apple.

Attached Files:

12. CrazyRussian540 thread starter macrumors member

Made this picture of what was wrong with my phone for another forum. Might as well post it here. It looked like this, except not photoshopped.
    [​IMG]