Faulty 8600m GT nvidia?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by monoxera, Oct 21, 2009.

1. monoxera macrumors member

2. nigameash macrumors 6502

I got my mbp 2.4ghz santa rose 256mb 8600 replaced by a 2.66ghz unibody 256mb 9600gt :) but it wasnt because of the nvidia card, it was coz of the logic board failure. but again the nvidea card is soldered on the logic board! so cant say for sure. my screen did die off on me 1ce and the apple tech guy did say that its a graphic failure!

3. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

My 2.6Ghz 15" MBP SR had one of the Nvidia issue last week and Apple replaced only the logic board and the graphic card. I was hoping to get the unibody one but, oh well!

4. bov macrumors 6502

actually my 2.2Ghz MBP decided to poop out on me this week with a blank screen, but still booted up, etc. ..... luckily there is an apple store 45 mins from me, so my baby is in the shop getting fit with a new logic board :(

currently waiting for the call back....

5. nerd macrumors member

Yes. I just got back from the Apple Store and they are replacing my "main logic board" for free. That's a huge relief. I've never been so happy to fail a test. I was sure they were going to tell me it was something else and charge me $1000 or something since my MBP isn't under warranty or Applecare.

Maybe I'll use the money I "saved" to buy one of the giant new iMacs (which look quite awesome in person).

6. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

You're so lucky. I kind of wish they would replace mine with a unibody since I'm planning to use my computer for a very looong time, but I don't want graphics card to die on me. The unibodies just feel more reliable overall. However, the classic Macbook Pro looks always win me over.

7. jamesybsu macrumors regular

I am having grey screen of death problems and I ran the Apple Hardware Test with these results:

4VDC/1/40000003: Video Controller

As you can see I have the 8600m video card. I have no warranty so its going to be interesting to see what they say.