Faulty fans on 17 inch MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by derek1984, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

In all honesty the SMC and thermal fan profiles are excessively on the risky side on the new Unibody laptops.

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Have this machine, dont have the faulty 9600 issue. So its not the fans.
    I did install some fan control software as everyone should do, because as the above poster wrote, Apples default SMC settings are insane. Perhaps the SMC was designed in degrees Fahrenheit and the people setting them were using degrees centigrade because the default setting is way off what it should be.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I think it's still too early to accurately point out what the problem is, some say it's the fans, some say it's the GPU. I'm pretty sure Apple is doing it's checks as we speak with all the potential customers calling in with the problems.

4. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kastenburst, or anyone else for that matter, what kind of fan control software can you install? where do you get it from and how much does it cost? ...I'll be getting my MBP soon. Thanks

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Fan Control 1.2 (It's free, link included)
    For the 17" Unibody you need to set it to these settings:
    Base Speed = 2000rpm
    Lower Threshold = 60C
    Upper Threshold = 81C

It directly edits the System Management Controller so you can boot straight into Windows and it will take effect in Windows automatically just like OS X.
    No need to boot into OS X first the restart into Windows like you have to with SMC Fan Control.
    It also modifys the fan speed automatically on a variable scale depending on heat, whereas SMC Fan Control has one set fan speed which you have to modify yourself every time you think your computers too hot.

Dont whatever you choose use SMC Fan Control on any Mac, its outdated software and dangerous for Unibodys for several reasons. It doesn't work in Windows, so your Macbook Pro ends up getting ridiculously hot without the fans coming on, and your 9600 graphics card quickly hits 90C and burns out, then you get green lines on your screen and come on this forum and whine.

6. johndoe588 macrumors regular

I'll second Fan Control. It makes the computer work just like it should have worked from the factory - temps start to rise, fans start to speed up. However I have not had it work in Windows. When flight simming left top above the keyboard gets too hot to touch before fans start to speed up, like before Fan Control. Kastenbrust, did you do anything special with your install?

John B.

7. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

When I get my MBP 17 inch in a couple weeks, I will install this. Thanks Kastenburst, I appreciate it....BTW, I'm jealous you live near the O2 arena with MJ being there!

8. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I don't even use "Fan Control" and my temps are fine the way the are. The system automatically controls when the fans should go on and when the fans should turn itself off.

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

not always. it seems hit and miss.

10. Mcmac17 macrumors member

Thanks for the advice Kastenbrust. My CPU temp was up to 93 (running handbrake only which surely isn't particularly heavy usage?) and the fans were spinning in a worryingly unconcerned fashion at around 3,000.

I've just downloaded Fan Control & it's kicked them straight up to 6,000 and the temp has dropped to 74 within a minute. Phew!

Cheers.

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Handbrake will use every percentage of unused CPU time to encode.

12. Mcmac17 macrumors member

Ah, I didn't know that Eidorian. That explains why the user CPU was up at 95%

It's very educational now that I own a computer that I care enough about to track these things. Every day is a school day :)

I probably ought to get out more.