Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
hey all,
after an accident with my 12" powerbook, the harddrive is no longer working properly!

I need to have it replacedd as I think some of the platters are corrupt...

so, my question is, what harddrive do you recommend I replace it with?

should i do it myself or bring it to a dealer?

I want to buy the hard drive myself though, the current one is 60gb!

thanks!

legion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
speed or size

Are you looking for speed or size?? Apple has never fully comprehended that a major bottleneck in laptops is the hard drive (always putting in the lousy 4200rpm drives.) You'll see quite an improvement with a faster hard drive. 2 Top of the Line options (newest technology):

from HGST (Hitachi Global Storage Technology; used to be the IBM-Hitachi group before Hitachi bought the whole division from IBM):

model 7K60
7200rpm 60GB hard drive (first 7200rpm laptop drive; 2.5" 9.5mm so it'll fit fine) Consumes as much energy as a 5400rpm drive and puts out just as much heat (no more!). You can see these specs from tests on the web such as Tom's Hardware and some Japanese sites.

model 5K80
5400rpm up to 80GB hard drive (first 5400rpm drive at 80GB size; it too is 2.5" 9.5mm so it'll fit fine)

Those are the best out there and both should retail near $400 US (the 5K80 is coming out this month, but estimated price will be $400.) If there is any other company offering these specs, they have just rebranded the HGST drives above (read the small print) Both have 3 year warranties if you get them in the "legal" market. If you see them with 1 year warranties, you're looking a "gray" market items (only supposed to go to OEMs and sold without box) You can check the warranty of any drive by serial numbers from the HGST website; it's also a good way to tell how the drive got to where you're buying it from.

(I have the 7K60 and it is incredibly fast. It alone eliminates one of the major differences between laptops and desktops by killing the wait time on the hard drive)

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
thanks

thanks legion, that really clarified things up for me a lot.

there is a wealth of information on the net but sometimes you just need someone to tell you exactly what you need... to be very specific! I don't ususally have time to wade through all the info availble!

just one more thing, do you think this is a DIY job or should I spend the 100 or so bucks it costs to get a pro to install it for me???

I have some experience with PC and have built my own, so I am confident... but should i bring it to a pro as to not void the warranty?

thaks again legion! and everyone else!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.