Faulty headphone jack?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by casjohnr, Oct 15, 2008.

1. casjohnr macrumors regular

Recently I've been struggling to get any sound out of my white iPod earbuds plugged into the iPhone headphone jack.

Then very recently I cannot get a thing unless I really try to stick the headphones right down into the port, and even then it is very low and very intermittent.

I thought it might have been the headphones, but they work great in my computer.

So have I got a faulty headphone jack on my iPhone?

2. Demosthenes427 macrumors regular

From the sounds of it, yes. I had that problem myself on my iPhone where the headphones work, but the jack did not. Actually, both the headphone jack and the speaker just gave out. Brought it back to Apple and they replaced it on the spot.

3. casjohnr thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks...Hopefully they won't blame it on the small dent I made once while roller skating or the amount of marks on the back.

Good timing for it to fail actually as it is just coming up to end of warranty and I can have a play with the new MacBooks at the same time :D

Do I remove my SIM before taking it in? Just I'm on PAYG which will look suspect in a non iPhone 3G. Although the firmware is all legal since 2.0 came out.

4. casjohnr thread starter macrumors regular

Any comments on the reply I made?

Just I've booked myself in for tonight at Meadowhall :D

5. Sdancott macrumors regular

Sdancott

keep us updated on your experience. Meadowhall is my local store too. It'll be interesting to hear what response you got

6. casjohnr thread starter macrumors regular

Well I managed to resolve the problem myself somehow...I shot down a bit of compressed air into the port and little bits of tissue etc came flying out which I guess caused the root of the problem.

But the headphones seem to keep 'popping out' of the port with very little movement now...Can't work out if that is just the headphones or the port.

Will keep an eye on it as the warranty runs out in November I presume.

P.S. I must say the Meadowhall store needs a bit of organization! I found it VERY difficult to find the different MacBook configurations without physically going to each one and selecting 'About This Mac'!