Faulty home button on my iphone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by stubs, May 10, 2011.

1. stubs macrumors newbie

Hi all, I'm new to the forum so please be kind if I'm asking a daft question (I've done a search but didn't really find the answer to my situation);

I've had my Iphone 4 since launch and it's on an 18 month contract with O2 (I'm based in the UK)
    Recently I've noticed that the home button is becoming increasingly unresponsive. It's very difficult to get to background tasks and sometimes won't quit out of an application. The problem is intermittant and I can't always replicate the symptoms. Initially I thought it was because I had nearly filled the memory on it, so I cleared it down and did a restore. This hasn't solved the issue.

I was speaking to a work collegue today who said that Apple will swap the phone out for a new one if I book an appointment. This same problem happened to his phone and they changed it no bother.

As the new white iphone is now out, do you think that Apple might offer me the choice between the 2 colours if they do swap it out? I only thought that they might due to there being no difference in price :eek:

Thanks for reading,
    Stu

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I've been having a similar problem with mine over the last few days. Like you say it's intermittent and hard to replicate. I might try and take a video next time I get it.

If you can convince Apple to replace your phone you'll get a refurb black handset. There's no way they'll give you a new white model.

3. agojes macrumors member

I've been having the same problem and applied the same method to alleviate this annoying phenomenon. But I am still having this problem and what's worse that it's kind of random.
    I think mine started when I upgraded to iOS 4.3. I didn't have this problem with 4.2.1.

I'm from Indonesia, but I'm getting the factory unlocked iPhone from Singapore. Do you think I should take the phone back to Apple in Singapore?

Any advise for me?
    Thanks in advance..

4. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

You're not alone: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1015300
    I have the issue but strangely it hasn't acted up in the past wk...Sometimes it become almost unusable but other times its completely fine :confused: Personally I'm not 100% sure if its hardware related.

5. dyoo20 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem with the home button..

Do you think they'll give me a new one even though I'm not an AT&T customer? (the only company in the US that is using iphone 4 with the sim card)

Also, I lost the original sim tray. Oh, and there's a small crack on the bottom left hand corner....
    Please see my post for full details.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1151188

6. ikevin19 macrumors newbie

They're not suppose to give you the white one as a replacement for black iphone. But 1 of the staff told me depends on which person you talk to and how you negotiate with them, they might get you the white one as a replacement lol.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Exactly how mine is

Sometimes great, sometimes not

When it's not, I usually have to press multiple times to get the action I want

8. barings-prod macrumors newbie

i had the same probleme => go to the genius bar , you gonna have a surprise