iPad Pro Faulty iPad Pro - Options?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nekomichi, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Nekomichi, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016

Nekomichi macrumors member

Nekomichi

A couple of months ago I bought an iPad Pro 12.9" from a retailer (not directly from Apple), today it won't charge and stopped being recognised by my computer. A quick check reveals that one of the pins in the Lighting port appears to have broken off and is missing, and this seems to be the cause of the hardware problems.

Picture1.png
    Close-up shot of the faulty pin

It's been less than a year, so the 12 month AppleCare/warranty should still be valid. The iPad has always been used with the official Lightning cable and wall adaptor it shipped with, and I haven't been using it in any way that should violate the warranty terms, though it does say that certain types of wear and tear are not covered. I have my receipt at hand. What would be the best option for me now?

- Go to the store I purchased the iPad from and see if they can do an exchange or refund
    - Go to an Apple Store and hope for the best
    - Something else (please comment below)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

The 1 year warranty does not cover this.

But......take it to a store and hope for the best.

3. hungx, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016

hungx macrumors 6502

hungx

Go to the Apple Store. It sounds like a possible manufacturing defect. The retailer will not be able to help you after the return period passes.

4. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

Had this on my iphone 5 it got replaced under warranty

5. choreo macrumors regular

choreo

It does not cover manufacturing defects?

6. Nekomichi thread starter macrumors member

Nekomichi

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Using the cable that came with my iPhone, I was able to get a wobbly connection to my computer and pulled a full backup in iTunes, so my data is safe. The iPad has been restored and set up as a new device, to prove that it is a hardware issue and not software. I won't be plugging it into anything again in case it causes a short or something.

There's plenty of battery left, I'm heading straight to the nearest Apple Store after work tonight to avoid the battery dying by the weekend. I'm assuming that if I brought in an iPad that's powered off, unresponsive, and can't be charged then it will be treated as a whole faulty unit which would be more complicated to resolve/get a replacement for whereas if I go tonight while the iPad still powers on and works, it'll be treated as a single component failure which hopefully is a more straightforward process.

Thanks again everyone! :)

7. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

The connector broke months later into ownership. It would take a very broad view to say it was a manufacturing defect.

Touch disease falls under a manufacturing defect (even if Aople hasn't acknowledge it officially), this does not.

But anything can happen after he takes it to the store.

8. Nekomichi thread starter macrumors member

Nekomichi

Yes, this does mean that the issue is definitely not an out-of-factory defect. Thing is, I have been using the official Lightning cable that came with the iPad, and haven't been using the hardware in any ways that Apple explicitly states would void the warranty. I'm not sure if this comes under "accidental damage", which is not covered. This seems like a grey area case.

9. hungx, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016

hungx macrumors 6502

hungx

Touch disease isn't actually a manufacturing defect. It's caused by the phone bending and the solder points losing contact with the logic board. It's an unfortunate effect of a design flaw/shortcoming of the larger phone (compared to the 5s) and soft aluminum as well as the lack of a metal shield. It's not a manufacturing related defect.

Also, what kind of port fails only months into ownership? Removing and inserting the lightning connector constitutes normal usage. Bending an iPhone does not.

10. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

Yes, design flaw is better; those words escaped me at the time... thanks for pointing it out.

11. BorderingOn macrumors 6502

That's the whole point of a limited warranty. I expect OP to have no issues getting it repaired.

12. ericwn macrumors 65816

Any hardware on the device is covered by the warranty unless there is evidence the device has been abused.

13. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

Not quite.

An example would be dropping the iPad and the glass cracking. The iPad might show no dings or any signs of abuse.

14. ericwn macrumors 65816

Very unlikely that it shows no abuse. You'll often see spiderweb cracks on impact damage.

Regardless, the OP's issue is clearly a warranty item.

15. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Which why going to an Apple makes the most sense.

16. Nekomichi thread starter macrumors member

Nekomichi

One more question before I go to my appointment tomorrow: In case Apple do agree to replace my iPad, do I still need to bring the original packaging and all the accessories that came with it?

17. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

Not necessary.

18. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

19. Nekomichi thread starter macrumors member

Nekomichi

Final update:

The Genius agreed to replace it for free, and I was given a brown-box iPad Pro right on the spot. Have to say, I'm really impressed by how quickly and efficiently they handled things. Top notch. :)