Faulty iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by nellisere, Oct 11, 2011.

1. nellisere macrumors member

Hello, I recently got my hands on a faulty iPhone 4, the problem is, it doesn't turn on, when you plug it into the wall charger, the apple logo comes up for about 10-15 seconds, and turns off, then does that again, and does continuosly does that. When I plug it into a computer, it shows no sign of life, if I follow the instructions to put it into DFU mode, I see no apple logo, but it does succesfully get into DFU mode, and is recognized by iTunes, but when I try to restore, I always get error 1601, in pwned dfu mode or not. I think it is the battery because when it is on the apple logo on the wall charger, as soon as I take it out, it turns off. I have tried the power button + home button etc, so I rang apple and they are arranging to allow me to send it to them, but I realised that the moisture sensor in the headphone jack is half red, even though it has never come into contact with water at all, so what can I do?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

How do you know it never got in contact with water before when you bought it like that not even turning on.
    You took a gamble and most likelly will have to pay the $199 replacement fee to have it exchanged.

3. nellisere thread starter macrumors member

I asked them, and they assured me that it hadn't, although they could be lying, and I am from the UK, if I take it to a genius bar, and they say that it is a hardware fault, would they replace it there and then? (ignoring the moisture sensor)

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    And you believed it:D
    If you bring it to Apple first thing they will do is check the moist sensors and if they're red they will not replace it for free but for a fee.

5. nellisere thread starter macrumors member

Okay, but if they were white, what would they do? would I get a replacement there and then?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, if they were white and there was no physical damage on the phone they would have replaced it.

7. nellisere thread starter macrumors member

Okay, thanks for your help :)

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

and of course if it's still under warrenty. Luckily apple is pretty genius about that too. If you search moisture sensor iphone 4 you can see where that are and check it before you take it in.

9. nellisere thread starter macrumors member

Forgot to say, but I sent it to Apple and they sent me a replacement in 4 days :)