Faulty keyboard or keyboard illumination

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by pj4444, Aug 15, 2011.

1. pj4444 macrumors newbie

I just bought my first Mac, a 13" Air and there is a small problem with the keyboard which is not serious but bugging me. The left command key has a shadow in the middle (the "mm" in command). It looks like the key has been heavily used. It could be a problem with the backlight under that key or with the key itself. I took the laptop back to the Apple store and we found the same problem with the display model. So is this the same for all the new 13" Airs or does my local store (in Thailand) have a bad batch? Thanks.

2. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

Could you post a picture of this?

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Mine has it, too. It's more noticeable at lower levels of illumination. Truthfully, that doesn't bother me.

4. Lyndo99 macrumors newbie

ya thats normal, and i wouldn't really call it a problem. The key is still lit, it just has a small dark spot in it, some of my other keys have it as well just not as much as the left command key does.

5. pj4444 thread starter macrumors newbie

Photos attached

I attach a photo. I am glad that its not just my Air. I can live with it although I was expecting my first mac to be perfect!.

Attached Files:

6. Gemütlichkeit macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

Same here. Not even an issue for me. btw those are some wicked letters^

7. pj4444 thread starter macrumors newbie

The Thai script does make the Western alphabet look very flat.

8. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

9. turbotoes macrumors regular

Blimey, I thought my MBA was perfect and now I find that it is missing the o,m,a and n letters of both command keys. Damn!!

:D

10. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

I think you're fine. I kind of see what you're talking about on my keyboard, but I don't think this could be considered an actual flaw. The illuminated keyboard is supposed to give users a properly backlit keyboard experience. However, scrutinizing the illumination of every single letter on the keyboard is a bit much. Though as a proud owner of a beautiful new Air certainly understandable. Now if the some keys are not lit up at all, in that case by all means have it looked at. Otherwise enjoy your new computer!

11. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

12. lyrrad721 macrumors regular

^You really like reposting that image, huh? It's getting quite annoying :eek: