Faulty lid magnet?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arunim, Dec 24, 2009.

1. arunim macrumors member

Hey guys,
    Once again.. my laptop is only about 3 weeks old, and I notice that the gap on the right side is bigger than the left side when I close my computer's (15" 2.8GHz MBP) lid. I am guessing the magnet on the right is not as strong on the left side. Pics below..
    I know a few guys have had problems with the lid opening when the laptop is vertical (due to weak magnets).. I dont want it to get to that stage. Right now it barely just holds on.

2nd problem is with my power brick. There is a definate gap between the socket and the brick itself. is this normal? Again pics below..

I should go back to the apple store and get my computer replaced with a brand new one.. What do u guys think? I paid over $2000 for this.. I should expect good quality! Right?

Attached Files:

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

mine does that as well. its really up to you. if its bothering you that much then you should bring it in. for me i didnt really care.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If the magnet thing is annoying you, you would have to decide if it would be worth it for you to be without your portable for a week or so.

As for the MagSafe adaptor, that's normal. That part is a separate part that you can remove so having a gap there isn't a defect.

4. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

My early 2008 Macbook Pro powerbrick is like that too. I don't mind since it's all scratched up that I don't care anymore :eek:

5. Shu15 macrumors regular

Yeah the powerbrick gap is normal. As for the magnet, if it gets worse, you wouldn't want the lid opening by accident or something of that sort. Again, it's up to you.
    :apple:

6. angusslo macrumors regular

angusslo

go to Apple Store because of the lid magnet, but power brick thingy is normal.

7. arunim thread starter macrumors member

ok.. i understand about the powerbrick thing.. but the lid is really annoying me..lol

am i just being too pedantic?

8. michaelfengdayu macrumors member

Take a nickel, put it close to the inside of the rim of the upper screen. You should feel the magnetic force. If you can feel the pull on both side of the isight camera, then it's not the magnet problem. Mine didn't close all the way towards the corner. I bent the screen a little bit and fixed the problem.