Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nightizm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Alright guys, I've been asking stupid ass questions on here for so long being confused why my laptop has not been up to snuff. 5-6 re-installs, twice I can't get past startup screen and having to re-install, random glitches, OS X & Bootcamp problems... I had a couple of you tell me I could have a faulty SSD but I just didn't want to believe it... but it turns out after I went to the Genius Bar appointment, that it's true.

Now, I have my BootCamp and OS X set up perfectly for literally the 5th time. I need to prepare two backups before I send it in for the SSD switch (which is $940 or something holy christ ty warranty). I've already backed up using Time-Machine, but I'm thinking about trying Winclone so I don't have to go through that dreaded Bootcamp install again. Since I've set-up and installed multiple softwares on OS X & BootCamp on a faulty SSD, will that software and data be corrupt sending it do the new shiny SSD?

It honestly sounds like a really stupid question, but I just need some re-assurance. I want to do everything as smooth as possible when my new SSD is installed so I can put all these 2 months of MBP drama behind me. I almost regretted my switch, I'm just glad it's not me anymore. Please share some stories of your Winclone experiences backing up Bootcamp as well. I hope I can do it!

Let me know, thank you.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If the SSD is faulty resulting in corrupted files, then any backup will contain the data corruption. I'd try to save your data, and then just reinstall your apps and bootcamp partition just for the sake of peace of mind.

Nightizm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
If the SSD is faulty resulting in corrupted files, then any backup will contain the data corruption. I'd try to save your data, and then just reinstall your apps and bootcamp partition just for the sake of peace of mind.

Damnit, ok.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Damnit, ok.

It may be fine, but if you start running into issues, you'll not know if its just random stuff, or due to data corruption. I think not taking any chances is the best approach. Then you know for sure that everything is good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.