faulty macbook air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sm1992, Jul 9, 2011.

1. sm1992 macrumors newbie

hi every1 im new to the forum

i bought a cheap macbook air, wanting to repair it.

basicly it didnt come with a harddrive.

and it has a black screen when i start it (i can hear the fan spin) and the light does come on

i would like to ask, will a macbook boot into the firmware menu without the hdd?

and if i buy a new hdd is there any cheap way of installing os x onto the hd without having to buy an external dvd drive?

im new to mac

thanks

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I don't think it will boot to firmware without a HDD, but I could be wrong. Did you try it?

You can get the Snow Leopard install USB dongle instead of an external optical drive.

3. sm1992 thread starter macrumors newbie

basicly, the mba doesnt boot as its faulty, but before i try repairing it, id like to know if it would actually go into the firmware menu's etc, without the need of a hdd?

like how windows computer go to the bios without a hdd?

4. sm1992 thread starter macrumors newbie

will it boot to the menu where i can choose to boot from usb drive? without having the hdd inside?

5. axu539 macrumors 6502a

It should work fine. Even without a USB drive, you should at the very least get a grey screen.

If it doesn't get there, the issue is probably the logic board.

6. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

If it was just a faulty drive, you would be seeing a folder with a question mark.

Either get a new logic board or part it out on eBay.