Faulty MacBook Pro - UK Apple store return policy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wrightc23, Feb 24, 2008.

1. wrightc23 macrumors regular

Hi all,

I bought a 17" MBP last Tuesday and it's a terrific notebook. Unfortunately last Thursday I noticed that it seemed to be seriously slowing down. I'm pretty sure the hard drive has gone as now it refuses to boot up and I can hear the hard drive making a churning clicking noise.

Does anyone know what the return policy for buying from an Apple store is? Can I just return the laptop and will they exchange it for a new one without question or will they offer to send it away for repair?

I don't really care if the MBP get's updated this week as long as Apple swap it for a new one that would be fine even if it's the equivalent Santa Rosa model.

I really can't afford to be without a laptop this week so if they only offered to send it away for repair I'd probably buy a 320gb SATA and just replace it myself.

Does anyone know what the return policy is for Apple and more specifically their UK based Apple stores?

Cheers

2. slybeans macrumors member

I'd think they'd usually repair it but I'd go check it out anyways.

3. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

Under the Distance Selling Directive for the UK - you have 14 days to get your money back no questions asked. This applies to ALL Internet purchases, regardless of who they are.

As for retail, I think you have 14 days, and then after that not sure. There usually is a re-stocking fee.

4. mosx macrumors 65816

Restocking fees usually only apply to working products that people are returning because they changed their mind and don't want it.

The OP's MBP is legitimately defective. The OP bought it from an Apple Store and its not a "custom build" so Apple can't use their BS policy of "no returns or exchanges on custom builds", so it should be exchanged on the spot for a new one. Seeing as how its within the 14 day Apple return period and defective, theres no reason it can't be returned for a refund and repurchased if they do try to force a repair.