Faulty MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by douggiefox, Nov 24, 2009.

1. douggiefox macrumors newbie

Hi

I'm looking for advice.

In early September this year I purchased a refurb 17" MacBook Pro 3.06 SSD.

I have had no end of trouble with it since purchase. I continually get lock ups and then the laptop fails to start and gives me a continual 3 bleeps on startup. Occasionally, the lockups are worse, the machine makes a grinding, clicking noise, the video fails and then it refuses to start giving me the 3 bleeps as described above.

I first called Apple Care who directed me to the Apple Store in the Trafford Centre. The laptop behaved itself and started first time! They suggested maybe the laptop was "too cold". Whilst I was there they suggested to me that if I had recurrent problems I should use GBM in Manchester as their backlog for work is 3 weeks!

So a week ago, after many lockups I drove into Manchester with a bleeping laptop and handed it over to GBM. Ah 3 bleeps, the RAM needs reseating (well I'd already done that!) They've had the machine "on test" for a week afterwards as I insisted reseated that RAM wouldn't actually sort the underlying problem. They didn't see any further errors.

In the meantime, I spoke to Apple Care again and they started to suggest I run lots of system tests once I had the laptop returned. I sort've saw red at this point and suggested to them that this is what their service provider should be doing! I was promptly redirected to a more stern, "senior" advisor who was adamant Apple would repair the laptop. I did point out that they couldn't identify the fault so how could they repair it. Clearly the irony of that statement caused a stack overflow and he started to repeat himself.
    When I suggest they'd sold me a lemon and they should replace it he just kept repeating they'd repair the laptop!

So joy of joys I drive back into Manchester pick the laptop up from GBM and get it home. Turn it on, sync my files, Kernel Panic and back to 3 bleeps!

So I really now have no idea what to do. I'm £2k down, I have no working laptop, a fault that can't be identified and Apple insisting they'll repair and not replace.

Please don't tell me in serves me right for buying a refurb - I'm fully aware of that!

Best DF

2. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

Just take it back to them everytime you have a problem and eventually they will replace the computer.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Buying a refurb has nothing to do with it. Contact Apple Customer Relations and tell them your story, they might be able to help you a little bit quicker.

4. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

Im pretty sure its the SSD. Boot it up on an external drive