faulty macbook, software or hardware?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Petenick3, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Petenick3 macrumors newbie

hey,
    i have a macbook, abut a year old now, ive recently upgraded to leopard from tiger, had no problems for about 2 weeks, but suddenly this week it keeps crashing, randomly. Ive noticed that when i remove the power cable it crashes - but only sometimes..., and sometimes when you open it up from sleeping it just turns off :confused:
    the week before last i sent it into an apple approved store to get a new casing as mine had cracked (all free under warrenty :) ) is it possible that something happened in there to cause this?
    has anyone had this problem? what could i do to solve this, my warrenty runs out in a few weeks, so would like it sorted asap!
    its also quite annoying!
    Thanks
    Pete

2. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

It is important to check it out before your warranty is up.

I'd reset the power manag. unit (or whatever they're calling it these days) first and see if it helps. I believe it's turn off computer, yank battery, hold down power button for 5 seconds (?)

I've had a rash of bad logic boards with charging and/or power issues lately. If resetting PMC doesn't help, open a call with Applecare asap so it's logged before warranty expiration.

3. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Yup. Here are the exact instructions FWIW:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411

4. Petenick3 thread starter macrumors newbie

ah ok, ill give this a try tonight and get back to you
    thanks