Faulty MB 2.4 keyboard?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iViking, Mar 2, 2008.

1. iViking macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,

I just got a new Macbook and love it over the others I've had in the past because it doesn't buzz or whine, however, I've noticed that I seem to need to peck the keys DEAD ON for them to work and even then I often see that a keystroke doesn't register.

For example, when I was typing the above, the Y in "everyone" didn't show up and the J in the word "just" failed to work.

Maybe it's because I'm coming from typing on a MacBook Pro with different, larger, softer keys--but I'm not sure.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Have you applied all of the latest software updates as it sounds like the bug with regards to "missing the first letter off", and that was recently fixed.

3. aneftp macrumors 68040

Yeah, do a search on "missing keystrokes"

This has been a common problem.

My previous macbook 2.2 had issues with me missing the "y" button unless I really concentrated and pressed the "y" button but if I were to just gently tap the "y" it would be a 50/50 chance I would miss the key.

When I paid the restocking fee to exchange the 2.2 macbook to the 2.4 macbook, my keyboard problems were all solved.

I think some keyboard are more sensitive than others. Take it to the Genius Bar and have them take a look at it.

4. coltks2004 macrumors newbie

My white 2.0 ghz macbook was doing this when it was a week old. I just called apple the other day and I have a brand new 2.1 ghz macbook on the way free of charge. Call apple care and get it taken care of. For whoever paid the restocking fee, you should of just called apple directly, could of had it taken care of for free.

5. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

did they let you keep the 2.0 Ghz mac? did you send yours first or did they mail to you?

6. coltks2004 macrumors newbie

They paid for me to overnite mine to them and they sent me the new one. I got to keep my remote as well without having to pay for one :-D

7. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

so what all did they send you with the compter?

how could you tell if it was brand new?

what number should I call?

8. macrockbuddy macrumors member

Are the new wireless keyboards & the MacBooks keyboard fairly different? Is it going to feel awkward going between the two?

Edit: sorry about stealing ur thread. Didn't realize I did till after the fact.

9. coltks2004 macrumors newbie

I sent my computer in Friday, I just got the tracking number saying that the new one will be here today. As far as knowing if its new or not, It is the 2.1ghz macbook and there are no refurbs of this yet. And I know that when Apple does this program they exchanger your computer with a brand new mac of the same price as when you bought yours. So i sent back a 2.0 ghz and i'm getting a 2.1ghz with a bigger HD.

10. coltks2004 macrumors newbie

I forgot, as for the number just call apple care the number should be in your manual it is also 1-800-APL-CARE (1-800-275-2273). I just received my computer after submmiting my last post and it is a brand new 2.1ghz

11. iViking thread starter macrumors 6502

Genius comes through

I brought it to a Genius and he realized it was messed up, so, they swapped it out for a new one at the Apple Store.

The new one is working fine.

12. bonscam macrumors newbie

roblem olved

fter nstalling he oftware pdate, y eyboard orks o uch etter.

13. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Funny, I just picked up a new MacBook 2.4GHz and had to return it because the right arrow key was doing exactly that.....you had to hit it in just the right spot to get it to register.

Apple gave me a new machine and it's working fine.

-Kevin

14. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

I had this problem the day I got my MacBook but I thought it was just me not pressing the keys down hard enough. Glad to see Apple fixed it!