faulty MBP! replacement...?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by apersianboyCOM, Jun 14, 2009.

1. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

my 17" unibody MPB is faulty as I noticed the backlight bleed issue and also the gap between the lid is quite big. It's the 2.66 GHz version with 7200RPM HD... do you think if I ask Apple for a replacement they will give me the newer 2.8GHz 500GB HD with 7200RPM? or do you think they've still got the 2.66 GHz ones in stock?

2. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

They will probably just replace the LCD panel and maybe even the lid itself, although that decision is left up to them. They may not give you a replacement since this will only be your first repair, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

3. pik. macrumors 6502

pik.

4. apersianboyCOM thread starter macrumors 6502

lets put it this way: I know I will get a replacement as this will be my 4th replacement... do you think they still have the 2.66GHz ones or would they give me a new 2.8GHz one?!

5. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Don't be so sure that they will. Perhaps if it was a logic board failure again you may but screen issues they just tend to repair.

6. bphillips macrumors regular

Probably not. They discontinued the 2.66GHz [I have one :)]
    but still have them. They're just not for sale.

By the way, don't be too happy about your speedtest results. I pwned you!

http://www.speedtest.net/result/495900437.png

7. kolax macrumors G3

Blah blah. You aren't bothered about anything apart from being cheap and getting a new MBP.

Backlight bled is within spec depending upon how bad it is (you provide no photos) and the gap.. no photos either. I doubt anyone at the Apple Store will take you seriously if these are your two "issues" which you think entitle you to a brand new 17" MBP.

8. mpopkin macrumors 6502

mpopkin

I doubt they will upgrade you to the new machine eve thogh that would be nice, however you can force them to give you a new machine if it has been three replacements, and Apple's definition of replacement is that the computer has been mailed or repaired three times for the same problem, not a different problem each time, now if they give you flak, ask the store manager to put you in touch with Apple Customer Care, not Applecare technical support, but the customer relations team, and force the issue, because the customer care team has seniority over the apple store manager, genius bar and Applecare and has the power to give you a new machine(most likely a new 2.66, but who knows), I have had this problem before with a ibook g4, and applecare refused to budge saying i should just have the machine fixed again, but i pushed the issue to apple customer care and they gave me a new machine, apple wants everyone happy, so you need to make it clear you are not happy, and they will do everything in their power to make you happy, I promise

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Best case scenario, they replace your display. Mostly likely they will tell you to piss off.