Faulty Memory in Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pinchez, Jul 10, 2009.

1. pinchez macrumors member

I have a Alu Macbook (not pro) with 4Gb Ram i also have 3year Applecare cover.

Last night my GF was using the Macbook when it suddenly froze and refused to reboot, So i took the cover off and swapped the ram about and sure enough one of the 2GB sticks is dead so for time being i'm running off the 1 good 2GB stick.

My question is how will Apple fix this for me? Will they do it there and then at a Apple shop or will they want to keep it and send it off.

Anyone been through this?

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I'm not sure if you will have to send it off but if the RAM sticks were bought with the computer then yes apple will replace them if they have malfunctioned.

3. madog macrumors 65816

madog

If you have an Apple Store nearby, make a reservation online, then go in and tell them what you found. They will double check, and if that is the problem and if they have the RAM in stock, then they should replace that part on the spot (or rather, in the back room).

Worst case scenario, they find another problem or can't reproduce the same issue and need to keep it for a few days, or even order the part and have you come back in a few days later (if it's useable without it and you need the computer).

If you don't have a store nearby, you would most likely have to ship the entire unit off to them for them to check everything out.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

AppleCare can dispatch you a replacement stick of RAM as long as your RAM configuration is listed on the original order. You will have to provide credit card information to guarantee return of the said part and you have a limited window (usually about 10 days) to return the defective item before you would be billed a late fee.

5. pinchez thread starter macrumors member

So if i call Apple tomorrow and explain to them that i have a faulty stick of ram they will send me a stick in the post and when i receive it i send my faulty one back?

Thanks