Faulty memory slot(s) on mid-2011 iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by CBGFilms, Apr 6, 2013.

1. CBGFilms macrumors regular

Hi all, bit confused on this one so any help would be appreciated!

Bought my iMac over a year ago, no AppleCare, when I first got it I upgraded it from 4GB of RAM to 8GB of RAM, 2GB in each slot.

Last week all of a sudden I was getting regular kernel panics every half an hour or so. I wasn't sure of the problem and even reformatted my whole system but the problem was still occurring.

I knew RAM could sometimes pose a problem, I removed 4GB of RAM leaving me with 4GB of ram in the system. The slots then looked like this...

[--2--] [ 0 ]
    [--2--] [ 0 ]

The problem stopped after removing them, I presumed the RAM in those slots was faulty, I ordered some more to replace. The problem was still occurring with the new RAM. Taking it out fixed the issue again.

To test to see which (or both) of the two right slots were faulty I placed in the RAM in the top and bottom row slots like so.

[--2--] [--2--]
    [ 0 ] [ 0 ]

[ 0 ] [ 0 ]
    [--2--] [--2--]

And what happened? No kernel panics that way either. The only time I get kernel panics is when all slots are filled, what's the issue here? Do you think I may of on the off chance just got unlucky and the new RAM is also faulty?

Thanks!

2. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

Use the faulty RAM in the same manner. Put it in slots 1 and 2, and then boot. Then do the same for the rest of the slots:
    1 and 3
    2 and 4
    3 and 4

etc.

If you don't get any errors there, then start adding the other ram into the other slots.