Faulty Mighty Mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by geoffreak, Jul 3, 2009.

1. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I have a bluetooth mighty mouse which I bought off of Amazon a couple of weeks ago, but I seem to be having some problems with it. I can't seem to connect to it when I'm more than about 6 feet away from my Mac Mini. My Apple wireless keyboard has no such limitation. I also have trouble connecting my mouse, but this may be due to the range issue.
    Is this the limitation of the mighty mouse? I once used one with my MBP (before it was stolen, grrr) and I never needed to check the range.
    As I bought it off of Amazon, can I still get it checked out and replaced at the Apple store if this isn't normal? I live right next to the Apple store and I don't want to get into the RMA process at Amazon.
    If this range is normal, I'm going to have to return it and buy a different mouse.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

your best bet is to go over to your apple store and ask them.

3. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I have a mighty mouse and can tell you that 6 feet isn't normal. Just because I'm such a geek, I measured from my MacBook Pro to the wall on the other side of my room and got 17 feet. From 17' away from my MacBook, using my mighty mouse, I could still control it.

4. geoffreak thread starter macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Thanks for the tips. I'll see if I can get a chance to run over to my local Apple store.
    I have found out that it has connectivity issues while less than a foot away from my Mac Mini, so that eliminates the range problem being the cause of that.

5. geoffreak thread starter macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Just as a followup, I went to my local Apple store last night to get my mouse looked at. The genius found that my mouse "definitely doesn't work right" and replaced it after I told him I received it as a gift last week (cheaper prices on Amazon are practically a gift ;) ). The store was out of refurbished models, so he got a new one off the shelf, opened it up and handed me a new mouse. Now I've finally got a working mouse! :D
    He did check to see that my AppleCare on my MBP was still valid before replacing it though, so anyone without AppleCare can't do a replacement this way. :apple:

6. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

hehe good shout!! Might give this one a try myself if mine breaks lol

7. geoffreak thread starter macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Well, my mouse was only a week old with original batteries and no signs of use whatsoever, so I don't think you'll be able to exchange a mouse after intensive use.