faulty nvidia GPU or what? SR 2.4MBP (2007) logicboard replaced 2009

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by birdman.ilikefl, Jun 8, 2009.

1. birdman.ilikefl macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm just looking for some advice here - this is a 15-inch MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa purchased in 2007 May-June...

Just in January 2009 I had the logic board replaced, when the graphics chip failed. So I guess it should be a "new" nvidia 8600M GT in there. The photo occured around February 2009.

It hasn't happened since... but I am afraid it may happen again sometime when the warranty is void (I've heard they're extended the nvidia graphics issue warranty to 3 years now though). I had just opened the lid from sleep and the screen appeared like this. I hard reset the machine and no problems since.

Could it be another faulty GPU? What do people think?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Looks like possibly a video cable is loose. I had to have my logic board replaced as well for a 2007 SR 2.4GHz MBP in 2008, but I had a series of kernal panics and a blank screen. If it's an intermittent problem, it may be difficult to reproduce if you take it in, but I'd take it in anyway and show a Genius a picture; The problem may surface or they might take it in the back to have it checked out anyway.