Faulty Phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fabienne, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Fabienne, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014

Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

I bought an iPhone 5 when it first came out, and it worked wonderfully well until the appearance of iOS7. I downloaded it and the phone just became a buggy nightmare. My top 3 complaints:

• It won't sync twice with my PC (the PC/iTunes just says I should reset it to factory and cannot read the phone...then I do, then it works, then it goes back to the way it was).

• There is a huge battery drain despite not running things in the background, the battery goes down very quickly, I plug the phone into my reserve battery and *poof* it's back up to a normal level. The phone is saying it's low when it's not but it is indeed refusing to work when it thinks it's low.
    • Siri...she only offers to go on the internet and look things up for me, she has been useless.

I did not buy Apple Care and so I have gone to my Apple store to consult "geniuses" multiple times with no lasting effect. I have combed the internet to try just about any incantation or ritual or suggestion which might vaguely work, no dice. Nothing works and many hours have been squandered chasing my tail. Perhaps I do have a faulty app from long ago somewhere...I have so many apps it would take a lifetime to weed through them (more wasted time).

So, I am hoping that the second complaint from above points to the fault is with a defective iPhone and that a new one will give me hours of iPhone bliss. What do you think? Faulty iPhone? A bad app? Something else? What?

The phone has had a pretty good life, always in a case, dropped but not badly and with no/little sign of wear. No water damage.

I am hoping that the iPhone 6 will solve all my problems. What bothers me is that it was working perfectly until iOS7 and then phffffft, none of the subsequent updates have done any good.. That points to an app incompatibility but I dread that answer. Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

2. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Just a note...iPhone 6 has not yet been released, and iPhone 7 is not even in the horizon!;)

4. techspin macrumors 6502a

Dream crusher!

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I am a horrible person...known as Dr Buzzkill to all and sundry!:eek:

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

She is in the midwest:rolleyes:

7. Fabienne thread starter macrumors 65816

Fabienne

Original post is edited, got any answers for the problem?

8. techspin macrumors 6502a

Strange that you've been having so many issues. Did they test the battery? Have you also tried to setup the phone as new on 7.1.2 just to see if your issues are resolved before loading all your apps?

9. Fabienne thread starter macrumors 65816

Fabienne

The last time I set the phone up as new was on Feb 21 for 7.0.6. I do see that there were a lot of bug fixes which came out with 7.1 so it might do to reset once again and see if that would do anything to help the situation.

Thank you.

10. Fabienne thread starter macrumors 65816

Fabienne

Well, that did it, to set up the phone as new on 7.2.1. I had tried that before but if the problem was because of a bug somewhere, it was fixed with 7.2.1, I just figured that since I had set it up several times before it would not work if I tried it again. Thanks for the encouragement. iTunes now recognizes my phone and I am able to sync just fine.

By the way, thanks, Newtons Apple[sic]. You do realize that you agreed that Midwesterners are faaaar ahead of the curve. :p

11. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I experienced all this crap with my i5 as soon as I installed iOS7. I don't have any bugs after doing a clean install, but *numerous* clean installs failed to fix the dreadful battery life. I've run this thing with no apps, no backups and all the candy settings switched off but to no avail. The battery checks out fine and there are no hardware faults. Some iPhone 5 handsets just don't like iOS7 and none of the subsequent updates have addressed the issue. I just gave up, accepted it, and went off Apple a fair bit.