Faulty RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jon08, Jan 31, 2009.

1. jon08 macrumors 65816

I haven't been completely content with the 2x2 GB Kingston Apple RAM in my Penryn 2.5 Ghz.

Here's a couple of things I've experienced:

1) First time when I ran iWork '08 and wanted to see the introduction vid, the screen froze at that initial screen with an Apple logo that showed up when iWork intro vid got started.

After this happened I switched the 2x2 GB I had just installed that morning and put the one above into the bottom slot, and vice versa. After that I ran the Apple Hardware test - both the short and the long one, got no problems whatsoever.

2) At times I get the feeling that the MBP is a bit slower on applications - the spinning rainbow-color ball shows up for several seconds. (for example, if I open several tabs in Firefox and one or more of these tabs got a lot to load on that site)

3) Just today it happened twice that the screen sort of froze for like 10 secs. I played iTunes, had MSN on, browsed online, and when I clicked the orange button (-) on browser and the whole window slipped onto the dock, just before it actually finally disappeared onto the dock, the image of the browser window actually remained above dock for like 10 secs (imagine how an item looks just before it finally disappears down onto the dock) - it just wouldn't budge, and wherever I moved the mouse, nothing would happen. And then after this short lag, everything would be fine again. It happened to me twice today.

Could this be faulty RAM?

2. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

3. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

But you have to pay for it....

4. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Er, yes, it's $1.39 :eek: :rolleyes:
    There may be free alternatives but I'm most familiar with memtest.

5. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Some guy here is redistributing MemtestOSX for free.

Memtest is GPL'd but I'm not sure about the Mac port, so he may be being naughty. But it's free which is what matters to you. Buy me a beer ;)

Edit: just remembered there's a GUI version called Rember too.
    see what I did there?

6. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, owe you one :)

7. UMHurricanes34 macrumors 65816

UMHurricanes34

I experienced similar issues with my Mac Pro at one point and also thought it was faulty RAM.

I backed up to my Time Machine drive and did a clean install of OS X and restored via TM and all has been well since.

In other words, your slowdowns could be due to a corruption in OS X

8. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hm, but my computer is only a month old...could it really be that?

9. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I just ran the test and it passed all of them....so I'm not sure what now....

10. nippyjun macrumors 65816

I'd put in the old memory and see if you have the same problems before doing anything else.

11. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Did you run it from single-user mode? It should take quite a long time to finish. I'd run it again to be sure.

Otherwise you've got two options: either your nVidia graphics card is one of the faulty ones and you need to contact Apple, or try backing your data up, zeroing your hard disk and reinstalling Leopard and see if the problems re-occur.

12. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes sir, and it took 2 hours to finish. A friend of mine warned me that it could as well be OS' fault, as people have been reporting 10.5.6.'s instabilities (blue screens and what not - well I haven't experienced any BS though)...but I'm really not sure if that'd be the case.

So if I do the Time Machine backup thing and install Leopard anew, what difference/benefit would it do if I eventually used Time Machine and switched to the situation prior to re-installing Leopard?