Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsmilo

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
I have an iPad Pro (10.5) and the Smart Keyboard stopped working a few weeks ago all of the sudden. However the pins look fine. Since I cannot go to the Apple Store for obvious reasons, I already ordered the new logitech keyboard with the trackpad as a replacement but now I am starting to wonder if actually the smart connector itself might be faulty and not the Smart Keyboard itself?

Is there any way to test to see if the smart connector works as it should? I assume there is no hard ware test on iOS. don’t want to spent 149 € on a new keyboard only to find out its the iPad that’s faulty. right now I could still cancel the order

edit: I am kind of worried by these „scratches„? (attached) but I swear I never dropped it, must be the result of the Smart Keyboard usage.

Attachments

• ED95D029-4A4F-4300-ABC0-2D4647A636C0.jpeg
    ED95D029-4A4F-4300-ABC0-2D4647A636C0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,260
  • DD4BDCAF-9AA7-40BF-B05F-99AD8CEE94D5.jpeg
    DD4BDCAF-9AA7-40BF-B05F-99AD8CEE94D5.jpeg
    354.4 KB · Views: 1,037

itsmilo

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Those little black dots on each pin?

Yeah.

It is probably from the Smart Keyboard. It also scratched the iPad itself ... I can literally see the silver of the iPad on the fabric of the cover.

i tried to wipe it off from the smart connector but seems to be permanent. You think that could be broken?

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
The Smart Connector is just three metal contact pads. It's not likely it would be faulty when compared to the possible modes of failure in the keyboard. If the fault is in the Smart Connector, most likely is that there's a buildup of dirt/oil on the contacts (functioning as an electrical insulator) - wipe it down with a clean, dry cloth first. If that doesn't help, try wiping it with a cloth lightly dampened with 90-93% isopropyl alcohol.

oklaonion

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
@itsmilo
I have an iPad Pro (10.5) and the Smart Keyboard stopped working a few weeks ago all of the sudden. However the pins look fine. Since I cannot go to the Apple Store for obvious reasons, I already ordered the new logitech keyboard with the trackpad as a replacement but now I am starting to wonder if actually the smart connector itself might be faulty and not the Smart Keyboard itself?

Is there any way to test to see if the smart connector works as it should? I assume there is no hard ware test on iOS. don’t want to spent 149 € on a new keyboard only to find out its the iPad that’s faulty. right now I could still cancel the order

edit: I am kind of worried by these „scratches„? (attached) but I swear I never dropped it, must be the result of the Smart Keyboard usage.
Did you ever figure it out? I’m having the same issue with my iPad and Smart Keyboard and am wary of ordering anything else if the connector is the problem.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
@itsmilo

Did you ever figure it out? I’m having the same issue with my iPad and Smart Keyboard and am wary of ordering anything else if the connector is the problem.

What's your issue exactly? For me it has always been issues with smart keyboard itself - eventually the conductive fabric used inside the smart keyboard to allow for the various hinge points fails. Usually it starts with intermittent connection issues which progressively get worse until its practically unusable.

I actually have an appointment to get my smart keyboard checked at an Apple Store today. Hoping to get it replaced as part of AC+ since it was purchased at the same time as my 12.9" iPP gen 2 and AC+ coverage. This will be my third keyboard in 3 years.

oklaonion

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
What's your issue exactly? For me it has always been issues with smart keyboard itself - eventually the conductive fabric used inside the smart keyboard to allow for the various hinge points fails. Usually it starts with intermittent connection issues which progressively get worse until its practically unusable.

I actually have an appointment to get my smart keyboard checked at an Apple Store today. Hoping to get it replaced as part of AC+ since it was purchased at the same time as my 12.9" iPP gen 2 and AC+ coverage. This will be my third keyboard in 3 years.
Sounds like my issue is the same as yours. Intermittent connection issues with the Smart Keyboard until it's basically unusable. Apple Support (over the phone - there isn't a store near me) couldn't or wouldn't nail down that it was the keyboard and wondered if it was software or the connector. I've been getting the run around with Apple Support and it's two years old with no Apple Care, so options are slim.

I'm at an impasse because I've had a number of issues since I decided to go with iPad as my main computer two years ago - I've had to replace my iPad twice (iPad Air 3rd gen) because of dead spots on the screen and now that the keyboard has given up the ghost I'm wondering if I should replace it with a completely different keyboard or sell the iPad and get a Mac. I don't want to be buying a new keyboard every year or two!

coarserocks

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2003
I’m experiencing the exact same issue with my 3rd gen iPad Pro. I just ordered a replacement Smart Keyboard so really hoping that solves the issue and that the point of failure is not the Smart Connector contacts on the iPad. I’ll report back when it arrives.

*UPDATE*

It did indeed do the trick. My almost 3 year old Smart Keyboard, which was peeling apart anyway and has seen a lot of heavy use, is now in the trash. I’m relieved that there is no problem with my iPad!

Somewhat annoying having to replace a $180 accessory. But I suppose I did get a ton of use out of it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.