Faulty Thunderbolt Monitor from EBay

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by adamvk, May 4, 2015.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

So a few months ago I got a steal on a Thunderbolt monitor, around $600, refurbished, from eBay. The seller had a good rep so I wasn't worried.

However...a few months later I'm realizing why it may have been so cheap. I've started encountering a few issues

Issue 1: After listening to music for a few minutes, the audio will suddenly start to get muffled and become more and more muffled. The only fix is unplugging the thunderbolt cable and replugging it in.

Issue 2: The monitor will often not charge my computer. There's really no fix to this, I just have to hope that it will start charing when I plug my Mac in.

Any ideas on a potential fix or culprit? It was refurbished from eBay, I highly doubt there's any Applecare left on it.

Thanks!!!

2. itsOver9000 macrumors 6502

itsOver9000

3. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

I haven't...however my computer is about 2 months old and my Mac has no problems with a different Thunderbolt monitor.

4. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

So if you have a new Mac, I assume you're using the power adapter? I have noticed on my MBA I sometimes have to wiggle the adapter a bit.