Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glanv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2008
Hi all

Probably only best if UK people reply here, as US not really applicable...

I have noticed that the edge of my iPhone isn't flush with the screen - the silver bezel bulges ever so slightly and you can see light between the glass edge and said bezel. After reading a few posts on here with similar problems, I have decided to try and get the unit replaced. The problem is who is my first point of contact? I got mine from Carphone Warehouse so should I go to them first? Or O2? Or is it best to contact Apple direct as they are the manuafacturer? I am thinking Apple will be my best bet.

Any advice or posts of similar experiences would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
go to an apple store
if there are any problems, the genius bar is your general source of help
if that fails, go to CPW, although you will have to argue harder to get a replacement

glanv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2008
go to an apple store
if there are any problems, the genius bar is your general source of help
if that fails, go to CPW, although you will have to argue harder to get a replacement

Thanks mate

Just about to call Applecare now and probably head to local store today. I am quite up to speed on the Sale of Goods Act so I will argue til I am blue in the face (and have a new phone of course)!

Cheers

glanv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2008
OK, so I went to my local Apple Store after calling them and arrived for my pre-booked genius appointment. Explained the light leak problem and he took the phone out the back to check in a darker place. He returned and agreed the leak was bad and the phone should be replaced. He said as I got it from somewhere other than Apple he would only replace the handset. The replacement handset came from a little brown (maybe white) box and it had the plastic seal around it. I enquired to whether it was brand new, he confirmed it was and said Apple had a stock of replacement phones ready for defective handsets. I checked the phone in the store for light leak and left the store a happy customer. HOWEVER.....when I got home I decided to have a good look at the iPhone (I know, I know, I should have checked it more in the shop but I focused solely on the light leak). Anyway, I discovered that the edges of the phone are sharp when you run your finger round them - like the back case has been machined using a blunt tool. On closer inspection I found that the black plastic was chipped/eroded away on the top left corner, by the mute switch. I was gutted and kind of wished I had stuck with the original one despite the light leakage. I gave Applecare a call first thing this morning and explained the situation. After putting me on hold for 5 or so mins, they informed that I should go back to the Apple Store and get another replacement - they added a note to the call number so the store wouldn't question it. Although I will be getting a replacement on Thursday, I am now worried that I'll get another duff phone! I have, unfortunately, entered the realm of iPhone 3g Russian Roulette! I will be giving the next replacement the most thorough going over ever before I leave!

So what do you all think folks? Was I mad to return the first one? Will I have more luck next time? I'll be sure to post back...

Oh, one more thing: does anyone know if I'll be able to see a genius between 1900-2000hrs on Thursday (late night opening). It is the only time I can get there and looking at "Concierge" on the Apple site for my local store (Southampton) it only seems to have appointments slots for the next two days and these are only available up until two hrs before close - which would make it 1800 for Thursday.

Cheers!

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
Return it to CPW.

Assuming they have the phone in stock they will swap it for a brand new one as you have the reciept.

I wouldn't mention the fact you changed it once before - just take it in the box back to CPW show them the damage and ask for it be swapped. You have 30 days for a faulty handset.

If you mention you changed it before they will probably get confused and refuse to swap it but if you don't they are none the wiser.

And if they don't have any you can just go back to Apple.

glanv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2008
Return it to CPW.

Assuming they have the phone in stock they will swap it for a brand new one as you have the reciept.

I wouldn't mention the fact you changed it once before - just take it in the box back to CPW show them the damage and ask for it be swapped. You have 30 days for a faulty handset.

If you mention you changed it before they will probably get confused and refuse to swap it but if you don't they are none the wiser.

And if they don't have any you can just go back to Apple.

Thanks for replying spinstorm. May I ask why you recommend taking it back to CPW? For some reason I envisage this as being more problematical, given their reputation. Is it because i will get a whole brand new unit (fully boxed etc)?

Cheers!

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
Although I will be getting a replacement on Thursday
hes already getting another replacement...

call the store up and see if theres a time convenient for you, im sure it doesnt take too much of their time up

just carefully check over the next one...

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
You have nothing to lose as your already getting a replacement sent from Apple.

Just try taking it back - if they swap it and you get a totally new model then great and if they are difficult it makes no difference.

The advantage of getting it changed at CPW is that you get a totally new phone and box so its less likely to be sub-standard built!

And like I said you have nothing to lose.

johnnyi

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
Glasgow,UK
I have the exact same problem I can see like a slither of light coming out the side.I am going to pop into my local apple store and see if they can fix it.I don't want to get a replacement phone It took me ages to get all my contacts and music and videos on it can't be bothered with it again.

AaronRC

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2008
Just make a backup via iTunes. When you get a replacement phone, restore the backup.

I too have some problems with my iPhone (battery indicator always at 100%, some light leak near the volume controls and also a section of the "seal" between the screen and bezel missing on the bottom right area of the iPhone).

I'll be arranging a replacement through Apple, not Carphone Warehouse. I don't imagine Carphone Warehouse will have stock for a while, so they won't be able to replace it anyway.

zengod

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
I had to take mine back to the Apple store because O2 said it would take 2-3 weeks to replace from the online store (Stuck in permanent reset - even the Apple "Genius" could'nt get it past the Apple logo. So I got a brown box replacement.

Problem is that today its stopped taking incoming calls and O2 has declared the SIM faulty (it does same thing in my N95) so I have to go back to the O2 store to get a replacement as they could not guarantee a replacement SIM before I go away on business.

Seeing as I sent 20 mins on hold to find this out I am less than impressed with O2 and the iPhone 3G is looking more like an unreliable liability and O2 are doing nothing to dispel this growing view.

Apple MUST let people choose their own supplier, O2 are simply useless. Thats 70 miles of Carbon footprint I have generated to date to get it fixed. At least Orange would ship replacements the next day.:mad:

DenniZ

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Liverpool, UK
I had to take mine back to the Apple store because O2 said it would take 2-3 weeks to replace from the online store (Stuck in permanent reset - even the Apple "Genius" could'nt get it past the Apple logo. So I got a brown box replacement.

Problem is that today its stopped taking incoming calls and O2 has declared the SIM faulty (it does same thing in my N95) so I have to go back to the O2 store to get a replacement as they could not guarantee a replacement SIM before I go away on business.

Seeing as I sent 20 mins on hold to find this out I am less than impressed with O2 and the iPhone 3G is looking more like an unreliable liability and O2 are doing nothing to dispel this growing view.

Apple MUST let people choose their own supplier, O2 are simply useless. Thats 70 miles of Carbon footprint I have generated to date to get it fixed. At least Orange would ship replacements the next day.:mad:

Ring O2 customer services, they will send out a replacement Sim Card for free, just say your current one is damaged. It arrived at my door within 2 working days I think it was next day actually. Activated that sim within 30 mins.

glanv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2008
I have the exact same problem I can see like a slither of light coming out the side.I am going to pop into my local apple store and see if they can fix it.I don't want to get a replacement phone It took me ages to get all my contacts and music and videos on it can't be bothered with it again.

Even if you get a new phone you can just sync the backup to the new one, iTunes will ask you when you first connect it.

cookiemoose

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
I had a similar predicament, my phone from CPW had dust behind the screen, so after being told that it would be quite some time for a replacement from the CPW I took it to an Apple Store who replaced it. The replacement unit has a similar problem like yours - with the rough edge however decided this was not really a big problem as inevitably if I got a replacement i'm sure I would find something wrong with it, and all I was doing was ruining my new iPhone experience!

danielforman

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2007
When I got my iPhone 3G I noticed that it was not cosmetically perfect. There were some rough edges on it. However, the quality was much better than my first iPhone. However, today I noticed that the Sleep/Wake Button has come loose a bit and when you rub your finger over it it moves and makes a clicking noise.

So I rung O2 Customer Service, spoke to a helpful guy on the phone who said straight away we will send a replacement to your door to do a swap. Said it would be 3-5 working days before it come but I would get an email and a text to let me know.

Hopefully the one I get will be bit better quality. But from reading other posts it does seem hard to find a perfect iPhone.

poolish

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
south coast, uk
mine that i got from o2 on pre order on launch had the raised right hand edge as well but i didnt care really, but then i noticed bubbles under the screen at the top (not actually on the screen but just the top front of the handset) appearing and they got worse after like two week, so took it into the apple shop, it had scratches pretty much all over the back cos i had dropped it loads wen drunk, but apple genius gave me a new one anyway! ideal. took like 10 minutes.

not gonna drop this one...

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
Guys I can't wait until we have Apple stores in Spain.

The thing is bad in Spain. The network, Movistar, has ordered all dealers NOT TO exchange the iphone in case it is faulty.

Apple says that the dealer should replace the faulty ones.

Dealers and Network claim that's not true, that they aren't authorised by apple to replace faulty iphones.

Solution? Send your iPhone to Apple in the netherlands.
I have a friend who realised his iphone wasn't working 5 minutes after he left the shop. Well.. he had to get it picked up by apple and got a replacement from Apple NL.

It's just crazy.

glanv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2008
Thought I'd update the thread.....

Went to the Apple Store to take my first replacement (so second iPhone) back due to the chipped case etc.. The genius took one look and said yeah this shouldn't be like this and promptly exchanged it for another 'brown box' one. This time I asked if I could spend a while checking it, which was fine with them. I suppose I could find things wrong if I tried, but there is no light leak, no chips, dents or scratches. I checked the display, no dead pixels or negative blacks. I have now decided enough is enough and I am going back to enjoying my new gadget! I have spent a good week bumming about whether this is wrong or that is wrong. My advice is if you have a problem that bugs you, say, a chip or display problems then take it back and Apple will sort you out. Check the replacement very carefully and then when you are happy go home and just enjoy the phone! I have realised that there is no such thing as a perfect phone - you can always find something wrong.

I am happy to now have an iPhone I can enjoy again!

Cheers everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.