Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lunarx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2021
Hello guys,

Few days ago, decided to proceed with an upgrade of basic model of iMac early 2019 27”
After watching lots of videos and reading your posts and other guides on internet about the procedure and items needed and supported, I bought the following cards:
1) wd black sn 750 500 gb nvme with a synatec addapter 2) samsung evo 870 1tb ssd 3) 4 pcs of hyperx 8gb ddr4 2666 memory cards.

During the opening of the screen, I made accidentally a small crack on the upper side of the screen (looks like a bezel) that broke me ?
After all parts were installed, when the machine turned on the screen didnt work, I felt the air from the fan but after few attempts the screen remained black.
I took the imac to the official lab in my country, and today they informed me that the screen is broken and moreover the video card or even the main board also faulty as they tried to connect a new screen and it didnt work as well.
I really dont know what to do now, as the prices for guanine items are so expensive.
Feels like Im the only one till now with an experience like this.
What would you guys suggest me to do now ? Thanks in advance

Last edited:

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Hello guys,

Few days ago, decided to proceed with an upgrade of basic model of iMac early 2019 27”
After watching lot of videos and reading you posts about the items needed and supported, I bought the following cards:
1) wd black sn 750 500 gb nvme with a synatec addapter 2) samsung evo 870 1tb ssd 3) 4 pcs of hyperx 8gb ddr4 2666 memory cards.

During the opening of the screen, I made accidentally a small crack on the upper side of the screen (looks like a bezel) that broke me ?
After all parts were installed, when the machine turned on the screen didnt work, I felt the air from the fan but after few attempts the screen remained black.
I took the imac to the official lab in my country, and today they informed me that the screen is broken and moreover the video card or even the main board also faulty as they tried to connect a new screen and it didnt work as well.
I really dont know what to do now, as the prices for guanine items are so expensive.
if indeed the screen is broken AND the mainboard - cut your losses and move on. Trying to repair it from this point is likely as much as a new/refurb unit ...
I would have done the RAM upgrade BEFORE taking the iMac apart, that is an easy one to do, rules one point of failure out in the process ...
Me personally, I would never take an AIO apart other than when it is faulty and to learn/experiment, but ...

Last edited:
Reactions: AAPLGeek

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I would be pretty skeptical about the logic board or GPU suddenly failed. It seems more likely a faulty connector somewhere. Maybe even just RAM not properly seated. Is the LCD screen itself cracked, or just the glass bezel? Any pics? Can you connect an external display? Can you revert everything to the way it was before the upgrade?

Last edited:

poked

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2014
AIOs in Macs are not something I would have messed with, but I’d honestly work backwards in checking for issues, and if that doesn’t work, then I’d do as another poster said and cut your losses. :(

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hello guys,

Take back you iMac from the "official lab".
Sell it for parts
Buy another one.

If you hadn't screwed up your iMac during the disassembling/reassembling process, then the "official lab" would have either exagerated the errors, or worse, intentionally created the errors to encourage you buy a new Mac. Either way, your iMac is not usable now.

Lunarx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2021
Some updates from today...

I picked up my iMac from the lab, as I already said they concluded that the screen is dead and the gpu or the main board as well.
I took all the parts that I have installed, and it works well ! :p:p:p
Then I tried to analyze where is the problem , so actually when I put all 4 new memory cards it doesnt work..

About the crack, it is actually the glass (bezel) that is cracked a little.
Now I need to find where I can buy a new one :)

memory cards:

HyperX Impact 8GB DDR4 2666Mhz CL15 SODIMM
F489293A-611A-4931-9430-F0632FBBB6E1.jpeg

Reactions: wilberforce

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
That sounds like good news.
However, I think the glass is fused to the LCD on this iMac, so cannot be separately replaced. I'm not sure about that, but you may not be able to do much about it.
About the RAM: suggest put in one stick at a time, to figure out if one particular stick is bad. Note: the RAM can be quite difficult to seat properly. Also, it can take longer to boot first time after changing RAM, and just show a black screen for 20 secs or so, so be patient.
So much for the lab's diagnosis!

The_Croupier

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2018
Don't trust shonky repair shops.
I bought a 2011 27" i7 16gb ram iMac from a nice young lady who was devastated when her iMac wouldn't boot anymore, completely dead, she took it to a local repair shop for diagnosis, they charged her $50 and said the logic board needs replacing.

She advertised the imac for $200 with faulty board, I got it for $100 explaining that to replace the logic would cost anywhere from $100-150 and I can buy a working one for less hassle, she agreed.

When i got home sure enough it wouldn't boot, i thought GPU and removed it, still no boot.

I removed one if the 8gb ram modules and it booted. I felt bad, took photos for her and told her to get a refund from the repair shop.

I posted her 2gb HDD back as it had all her data.

And we are now friends, on Facebook, im a farmer and told her to talk to me if she needs computer advise. ?

oxvectors

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
KTPA
Don't trust shonky repair shops.
I bought a 2011 27" i7 16gb ram iMac from a nice young lady who was devastated when her iMac wouldn't boot anymore, completely dead, she took it to a local repair shop for diagnosis, they charged her $50 and said the logic board needs replacing.

She advertised the imac for $200 with faulty board, I got it for $100 explaining that to replace the logic would cost anywhere from $100-150 and I can buy a working one for less hassle, she agreed.

When i got home sure enough it wouldn't boot, i thought GPU and removed it, still no boot.

I removed one if the 8gb ram modules and it booted. I felt bad, took photos for her and told her to get a refund from the repair shop.

I posted her 2gb HDD back as it had all her data.

And we are now friends, on Facebook, im a farmer and told her to talk to me if she needs computer advise. ?
That garnered you good karma, my friend. Pure class and nicely done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.