Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Hi Everyone,

I purchased a 2nd hand Macbook Pro from eBay the other day and everything works finer except it has one faulty USB port. Now the USB port gives out power to external HDs (Not my iPhone though) but doesn't seem to receive data.

My MacBook doesn't have the startup diagnostics mode so I am unable to carry out any tests to see what is actually wrong with the port.

Anyone know a 3rd party tool for scanning/diagnosing faults with USB ports?

Thanks

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I think the USB ports are direct onto the main logic board so further diagnostics (unless you are into board-level repair), is moot, it will require a new logic board to fix....

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
Fixing a USB port is probably an easy soldering job, if you are that kind of person who can disassemble it and solder it, which seems you are not, so if you cannot, you can either take it to some repair shop to re-solder it or just live with it. You could take it to an apple authorized repair center but they would replace the entire logic board and that would cost a lot of money; it also would be a waste of a good logic board, which I hate.

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Thanks for the replies! I am more technical than I may have come off ;) but I don't do a lot of soldering, not enough to make me confident enough to try to fix this USB port anyway!

oh well, guess it's only one USB port so I will just leave it as I don't facny shelling anything out to get this fixed..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.