Faulty Wifi Chip

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Squirrelflight, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Squirrelflight macrumors regular

So I got a refurbished macbook air and everything was great and looked brand new except the wifi wasn't there. When I booted it for the first time the option showed but it was unclickable and once past booting it simply wasn't there, like it didn't exist anywhere.

Took it to best buy to see if I did the initial set up wrong but they say it's a faulty wifi chip. Letting them run a diagnostic to be sure. Hoping that is all it is because otherwise there didn't seem to be anything else wrong with it, it looked in physical good shape like brand new and everything.

Just wondering if anyone else has had to get it replaced or fixed? I'm so worried to hear the diagnostic results. I'm hoping faulty wifi chip is all there is just like it seems.

2. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

The wifi and Bluetooth are handled by a single plug-in card and is very easy to replace. Cheap replacements can be found on eBay.

Where did you get the Air and what is the exact model?

3. Squirrelflight thread starter macrumors regular

I have it off to be repaired already, well Best Buy is putting it through a diagnostic first to make sure that is all it is as if it is a bigger issue I will have CNB computers take care of it I believe a diagonostic doesn’t void warranty.

It was a refurbished mid 2015 MacBook Air from the shopping channel and i discovered the company cnb computers refurbishes them and they get many bad reviews so I decided I’d have Best Buy run the diagnostic because I’m willing to pay the price of a new wifi chip. I’d rather not deal with cnb computers they don’t take returns but they will fix it but reviews say they can be a hassle to get them to fix things so if all it needs is a wifi chip I’ll deal with that anything more I’ll have to deal with them. Wish shopping channel put somewhere where the laptop was from!

I’m just worried though I saw someone had an issue where the laptop had no mention of wifi anywhere like it didn’t exist but Bluetooth was there and it was discovered to be a hardware issue. I just hope simple new wifi chip is all it needs to be fixed cause the laptop arrived in perfect condition like it was brand new just hoping wifi chip is all it is and it’s not some hardware issue.

4. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

I'm curious as to why you are using best buy instead of taking it to an apple store or an authorized apple dealer?

Did you check the serial number to see if the MacBook is under warranty through apple?

Did you confirm that there is no firmware password?

Did you try to reinstall the is?