Favicons... Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by ezekielrage_99, Jun 3, 2007.

1. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Hi I need to create a Favicon for a weather web site.... I'm stuck and need a little help for ideas and the best way to create them.

Any ideas or web resources would be cool :apple:

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

There are numerous online favicon generators. You just give them a picture and it makes a favicon for you.

I just did a Google search and this site came up: http://www.graphicsguru.com/favicon.php

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

You can get a favicon Photoshop export plugin here. (you want the .ico format, and your icon needs to be 16x16)

For ideas? There aren't all that many many "generic" symbols that get weather across in that much space :/ If you have an easily spotted color scheme or name (initials in that much space) or the like, that might be another path to take. For bookmark lists etc., it's probably more important that the users can quickly spot it as your site than a weather site, since they probably put the bookmark there and know what the content is.

4. ezekielrage_99 thread starter macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I've heard that you can save a 16X16 or 32X32 BMP image then change the file extention to .ICO does this work or will I have to go with the Icon plugin?

I'm lazy I can't be bothered installing crap if I don't have to. :D

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

ico is a container format, much like Mac icns. The images inside an ico container are nearly identical to standalone bmp images, so you may get away with renaming, if we presume that all the browsers out there are sufficiently lenient.

6. ezekielrage_99 thread starter macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99