Favorite 2011 MBP Features?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adcx64, May 7, 2011.

?

Favorite 2011 MBP Feature

1. "Sandy Bridge" Processors

99 vote(s)
    70.7%
  2. Thunderbolt Port (when accessories surface)

11 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. SATA 6GB/s

5 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. Glossy or Anti-Glare Option (15 and 17 inch)

8 vote(s)
    5.7%
  5. Design

17 vote(s)
    12.1%
  1. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

I'm a potential buyer and I'm curious to see what your favorite MBP features are.

2. TenderBranson macrumors member

Thunderbolt port will be key in the future, but right now my favorite feature is the incredible speed.

3. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

To be honest, Sandy Bridge and whatnot is great, however the biggest thing for me was going from a non-hi res glossy to a hi-res glossy. It has made everything so much better, especially for CS5 stuff. I suppose SB does add even more Snappiness™ though. ;)

4. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

You ended the poll too soon ;(

5. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

God this is an easy one! I don't even have mine yet and won't for a few months, gotta save the money up. But the fact the Sandy Bridge is double the performance of my i7 makes it easily the best feature.

And you should have also added an option for the AMD/ ATI graphics as that's a damn good feature too!!

6. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Odd wouldn't let me vote before.
    Now that I have voted I will give my opinion:
    Thunderbolt is the most important, processors always get faster and unless you do highend gaming sandy bridge doesn't really matter (or video editing stuff). Thunderbolt however is new it is a standard to replace all standards, in the future
    We may have external graphics cards so when we arrive home we stick that powerful desktop gpu into the thunderbolt port and off we go! It would be very interesting to see how people would vote on this in 2 years.

7. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

You've been BANNED :D:D

I voted fine???

8. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

improved isight!

Btw, has anyone got a link that compares previous isight footage vs new HD footage?

I know its foolish but its one of the things I enjoyed the most about the update.

9. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Banned by a web higher being? :rolleyes:
    I thought Demi gods didn't get banned :( .
    Anyway seriously all should read my edited post.

10. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

I thought that thunderbolt would get more votes! I guess sandy bridge is equally important!

11. Coasterfanryan macrumors regular

Either Sandy bridge or the improved "FaceTime camera". I was at my local Apple store (South Hills) and I finally got to try the 2011 models out and WOW they are fast. I wish my pc could wake up and open iTunes that quick! I'm excited to get mine for college!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

12. mac00l macrumors 6502

For me, it's the design. The aluminum unibody is a no brainer compared with most other laptops. Durability and light weight is essential for me.

But if compared with previous unibody models, sandy bridge is.

13. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

New processors, super fast. Best laptop I've ever owned. i7 15" 8GB!

14. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Sandy Bridge it has to be. First time you get Quad-Core CPUs in such a tiny package and its not the sacrificial type quad core CPUs with ridiculously low clock speeds and ridiculously high TDPs like the early versions stuffed in 2 inch thick gaming laptops.

Here you're getting processors that not only have reasonable clock speeds but also TDP, and are faster than a 2006 Mac Pro, match a 2008 Mac Pro and are neck in neck with the newly released iMacs which use desktop SB processors. :eek:

Everything else except SATA III support was 'meh' to me

15. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

THUN-DER-BOLT!

Now where them peripherals at? <_< >_>

16. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Sandy Bridge is the biggest one for me, was the clincher for me to buy my first real Mac (Had a 15 inch Late'08 MBP for around 10 days, then got rid of it, so that doesn't count).

Plus, huge upgrade from an Envy 17 i7-720QM.

17. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Who voted for best 2011 feature as design? Its been like that since 2008 :confused:

18. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

19. SwedishBassist macrumors member

ATM the ca 10-15 sec boot time :D

That and the silent fan.

But from the poll, def the Sandy Bridge. The computer feels really fast (base 13").

20. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

Seems like thunderbolt has made somewhat of a comeback in the poll.

21. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

The thunderbolt, new cpu's and hd camera definitely sold me. The most important thing though would have to be the performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Sandy Bridge. My last one was also a Unibody. I am just waiting for someone to say "Thunderbolt"

23. altecXP macrumors 65816

For me it would be SandyBridge mixed with the better GPU.

24. SwedishBassist macrumors member

You are saying the Thunderbolt port could be used for an external GPU? That is indeed quite awesome.:)

25. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

It has been done before with slower connections although not as powerful as normal CPUs, when Intel release 100Gb/s Thunderbolt/Lightpeak which won't btw require a upgrade we will be able to hook up super high end desktop GPUs. As I stated earlier it would be interesting to see how people would vote on this in 2 years. For me sandy bridge is like yeah but meh, another processor upgrade nothings new, also to people saying how fast they are unless you play game / video stuff then there is / should be no difference. I personally have owned both the 2010 and 2011 model and there is little difference. Bit like the design vote, it isn't really new general speed has been a thing MBPs have had for a while.