Home Favorite Alexa Skills?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by TWO2SEVEN, May 11, 2017.

1. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I am getting my Echo Dot today. I have a few skills set up already from using Reverb on my phone. What are your favorite uses for Alexa?

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Turning on/off the lights and adjusting the thermostat is primary. But almost every night I say "open rain sounds" to get some soothing background noise to relax my mind.

3. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

We will be getting some Hue light next week, I am looking forward to that. My three year old loves the animal sounds so far haha.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I use it a lot with the Hue lighting like you mentioned, and that works quite well.

I also use my Echo with the Logitech Harmony remote. There is an Echo skill you can enable to work with the remote. I have it set so I can walk into the room and say "Alexa turn on the xbox" then use the same skill to bump the volume up or down a bit without having to hunt down the remote.

I control kitchen LED ceiling can lighting with a Wemo light switch. That has also been reliable so far.

5. sigomez macrumors regular

Turning off/on the lights and turning on/off the TV.

6. GBlansten macrumors regular

GBlansten

I have a large outdoor fountain that is controlled by Alexa. Just have to tell her to turn it on or off.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

hue lights and harmony hub are my most used features. "Alexa turn on the movie". The TV, AVR, and Blu-ray player turn on and the lights dim".

I am really looking forward to Ring support with the echo show. When someone rings the door it will just show me who it is instead of having to launch my phone app.

Oh and I always forget to turn the thermostat down when I climb into bed, so I use it with nest daily.