Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I am getting my Echo Dot today. I have a few skills set up already from using Reverb on my phone. What are your favorite uses for Alexa?

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Turning on/off the lights and adjusting the thermostat is primary. But almost every night I say "open rain sounds" to get some soothing background noise to relax my mind.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
We will be getting some Hue light next week, I am looking forward to that. My three year old loves the animal sounds so far haha.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I use it a lot with the Hue lighting like you mentioned, and that works quite well.

I also use my Echo with the Logitech Harmony remote. There is an Echo skill you can enable to work with the remote. I have it set so I can walk into the room and say "Alexa turn on the xbox" then use the same skill to bump the volume up or down a bit without having to hunt down the remote.

I control kitchen LED ceiling can lighting with a Wemo light switch. That has also been reliable so far.

Reactions: TWO2SEVEN

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
hue lights and harmony hub are my most used features. "Alexa turn on the movie". The TV, AVR, and Blu-ray player turn on and the lights dim".

I am really looking forward to Ring support with the echo show. When someone rings the door it will just show me who it is instead of having to launch my phone app.

Oh and I always forget to turn the thermostat down when I climb into bed, so I use it with nest daily.

Reactions: TWO2SEVEN
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.