Favorite App for Photo printing?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by joleni, Nov 14, 2008.

1. joleni macrumors newbie

I use iPhoto 08 for organization, Capture NX2 for raw conversion and most editing, PSE6 for the ocassional other correction needed to my files. I find them all lacking in a simple Mac like experience when printing multiple photo collages and contact prints. I only switched to Mac in January so I have no previous iPhoto 6 n-up memories. I used to like the ol' HP photoprinting software but I tried the latest Mac HP photosmart software and it lacked in this specific area too. I think all the above programs have excellent editing capabilities but short change the user with home printing. Is there a Mac App that adds better printing fuctionality to iPhoto 08? I trialed Aperture2 and didn't like how its raw conversion compared with Capture NX2. Any suggestions?

2. jake-g macrumors member

I don't know how it works with iPhoto, but photoshop is my preferred printing program.

3. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Photoshop; I have it set so I double click a photo in iPhoto and it opens in Photoshop.

4. scrapper144 macrumors newbie

Hi - I was hoping that you may be able to share how you where able to set your iphoto so that your photo's open in photoshop:)

5. rick d macrumors newbie

printing

Lightroom 3 has made printing a breeze. With it's new composite printing and it's color correction and ability to save templates with two clicks you can print easier than anything I've found.

6. mstrze macrumors 68000

I think in preferences in iPhoto, you can choose to use an external program to edit your photos.

7. snberk103 macrumors 603

I haven't upgraded to LR3 yet, but I do most of my printing through LR2 ... and I agree that it makes making composites, etc etc a breeze. The ability to add a name badge and other special effects is also bonus. Sometimes I will "print" a contact sheet to JPG, and include that file with image files on a CD for a client. In essence, a virtual contact sheet.

Will be upgrading to LR3 this fall. I hear it has only gotten better.

8. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

It's is in iPhoto Preferences. If you select the external editor (Photo Shop, I use Pixelmator) in "Edit photo" and then set it back to open "in main window" you will be able to do your normal edits in iPhoto but if you right click on a photo you can use your external editor when you need to. Be sure when you are using an external editor from inside iPhoto that you use "Save" and NOT "Save As" or you might lose your edit. If you want to keep the "Old photo", the one without the external edit and a copy with the NEW edit and a new name, make a "Duplicate" under iphotos "Photo" menu or hit "Command D", then give it a new name before you do your external edit.

Attached Files: