Favorite Canned Soup?

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
It's getting colder here... in fact, right around 50degrees F today and rainy... gross! (Guess it's preparing me for being in London this weekend :D )

Anyway, I microwaved a bowl of Campbell's Soup for lunch... Felt like a soup day. It's Chunky Classic Chicken Noodle...

It's not bad, but not great...

Give me some good canned soups to get me through the winter at work when I don't feel like bringing in my own from home!

:D

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
what about not canned ones, but ones that are in a little paper thing that you add boiling water to? i assume those work...

there is a great cous cous and lentil soup from fantastic (i think) and a great veggie chili (not "soup", but similar enough)... forget the chili brand. mmmm they sound good

MacFan782040

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2003
Scranton, PA
Definitly feels like a soup day. The problem is here on campus they usually have crappo soup. I hate tomato. I love Bean with Bacon and Chicken noodle. I also love the chunky soups...with oyster crackers ahhhhh mmmmm

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Cream of Mushroom for condesnsed soups. Love the stuff.

But nowadays there's all those canned soups that you don't need to add water to. Those tend to be pretty good quality and I've tried a bunch of them I've really like. The campells one with chicken and wild rice is particularly good.

The most common soup for me though is beef top ramen with Cholula hot sauce and fresh ground pepper.

Aaon

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
Nothing beats a hearty black bean soup with a touch of salsa and sour cream. The Cuban Black Bean at Panera Bread is pretty tasty, if you have a Panera Bread in your area.

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
I like tomato and mushroom from campbell's. You might also want to try the cream of someyounguy(work while speakin but not while typing, eehhh thought I'd give it a shot lol):D

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
campbell's cream of mushroom made with milk.
there are also some thai soups in a bag that are quite tasty and spicy.
anything with curry in it.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I like Campbell's 'select' line... more specifically? The 'chicken and rice' or the 'roasted chicken w/ long grain rice.'

Attachments

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I sometimes like chili in a can, but I'm not sure I could classify that as soup. You know, the stuff you eat with a spork.

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
Dollar store!!!

There's this Progresso Vegetable select soup that I get for 99 cents a can at the 99 cent store, verus like $1.50 at Kroger!
HAAA!

Progresso tomato and progresso bean = YUM!!!!

I'd say I'm a gourmand, but I really know that I 'm just a glutton. :eek:

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I used to like soup in a can, but my wife has altered my eating habits enough that I can't eat it any more. My wife's superpower is that she can taste even the smallest amounts of salt, so as a result we don't put salt on anything. After a couple years of the new lower sodium diet (I still eat chips and stuff like that though), those canned soups just taste too salty to me.

Still, I used to like the chicken and rice ones. And the lentils one was one of my favorites.

(My superpower, by the way, is the ability to fall asleep instantly in any moving vehicle.)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
miloblithe said:
After a couple years of the new lower sodium diet (I still eat chips and stuff like that though), those canned soups just taste too salty to me.
Psst, I actually water mine down. :eek:
miloblithe said:
(My superpower, by the way, is the ability to fall asleep instantly in any moving vehicle.)
That can't be your superpower because that is mine!!!

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Either chicken noodle or vegetarian chili served over rice and veggies. great quick dinner after getting home from a 7.30pm class (that's when the class ends).

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
I'm a big fan of the Campbell's Chunky brand. New England style clam chowder is a favourite, with grilled cheese. Also enjoy just normal tomato soup made with milk served with a grilled cheese.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
katie ta achoo said:
There's this Progresso Vegetable select soup that I get for 99 cents a can at the 99 cent store, verus like $1.50 at Kroger!
HAAA!

Progresso tomato and progresso bean = YUM!!!!

I'd say I'm a gourmand, but I really know that I 'm just a glutton. :eek:
Only $1.50 at Kroger? I was checking prices when my parents moved and they wanted $2.94 for the same Progresso soup that's $1.99 at Publix here and I can usually get it for $1.50 on sale.

Campbell's Chunky New England (White) Clam Chowder or Progresso Minestrone (original recipe) or Baxter's Game Soup or Lobster Bisque.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Soup is very soothing in the Fall and Winter. I will admit that homemade is the best, my wife is a great cook.

Back on topic though. It would be Cream of Broccoli, Mushroom, or Tomato; yummy.

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
bousozoku said:
Only $1.50 at Kroger? I was checking prices when my parents moved and they wanted $2.94 for the same Progresso soup that's $1.99 at Publix here and I can usually get it for $1.50 on sale.

Campbell's Chunky New England (White) Clam Chowder or Progresso Minestrone (original recipe) or Baxter's Game Soup or Lobster Bisque.

Oh. I don't know exactly how much it is full price, but I get it for 99 cents! huzzah! I win either way.

What's a Publix?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Progresso Roasted Chicken Italiano (which strangely enough is a different soup than Progresso Grilled Chicken Italiano).