Favorite Case/Shell for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Emoo, May 8, 2010.

1. Emoo macrumors regular

Since I just took the plunge and purchased my first MBP, I certainly want to protect it. I've been looking at the Speck/Incase hard shells, but I hear they block access for the power adapter.

Shell or soft case? What would y'all recommend in terms of brand/model?

I've got about $50 to throw at it, just for what it's worth.

2. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

no case

I just have a Tucano Second Skin for when I carry around or put it in my Timbuk2 bag. I've had my Powerbook G4 (on right) for over 6yrs and it looks new. The case has very little scratches on the bottom. So I assume since both are ALuminum that I didn't need a cover.

For piece of my just buy a Tucano Second Skin and carrying pouch

[​IMG]

:apple:

3. Emoo thread starter macrumors regular

The Second Skin is definitely interesting, but I find the labeling on the front to be sort of obnoxious.

I was checking out this: http://www.sfbags.com/products/sleevecases/sleevecases

I like it very much, and overall reviews seem pretty positive. But I'm not sure whether or not to get one with a flap or not...I feel safer with the flap, especially since I'm going to be throwing this around in a backpack, running all over campus. Also it's about $15 more expensive than I'm aiming, and that's assuming I'm not paying for shipping...

4. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

I've had the SF bag sleeve for my 17" Pavilions (the original ZD700 and the DV9700T HP replaced it with under warranty) for 5 years; it is constructed extremely well and worth every penny. I don't have a real flap, just the 2 inch wide velcro flap that keeps the notebook from sliding out; I put my notebook in the SF sleeve then inside my Targus backpack and it's very well protected.

5. Kristine macrumors 6502a

6. Emoo thread starter macrumors regular

Right now, I'm pretty much leaning towards the Sleevecase. Would y'all recommend the flap/strap? It'll spend a lot of time in my backpack, but I'm not sure if I'll always be taking the backpack with me to class. I think I'm a fan of the horizontal orientation.

7. vootman macrumors newbie

I just went through the same decision for my new MBP 13. After searching forums I decided to buy a Tom Bihn Brain Cell (horizontal) and Waterfield Sleeve Case (horizontal with flap) and compare them.

After reading so many rave reviews for the Brain Cell I have to say I was surprised to find that I didn't like it. I'm not sure if the one I received was defective or what but it didn't fit well (laptop was able to move side to side about 1/2"), it was fairly bulky and I wasn't all that impressed with the way the top closes. It was returned.

The Sleeve Case turned out to be just what I was looking for. Not too big, fits like a glove and the machine feels protected. I do like the flap, worth the extra $$ in my opinion. It's a keeper.

8. Emoo thread starter macrumors regular

Do you usually keep your laptop in its case in another bag, or just in the case by itself?

9. frostiex macrumors regular

frostiex

Finally got all my skin and applied them today!
    I have the BSE for the bottom and sides. SPG Carbon fiber for top.
    Moshi palm and trackpad skin and Moshi Keyboard protector.

Check it out :D

Attached Files:

10. Emoo thread starter macrumors regular

That looks pretty awesome, but I think I'm more looking for a sleeve that I can toss in my backpack without having to worry about scratches or other damage.

11. vootman macrumors newbie

Usually in another bag (sometimes messenger, sometimes backpack).

12. reedsie macrumors newbie

Where did you purchase

How do you like the SGP skin? Where did you purchase this from and how long did it take to show up?

What about the keyboard skin? I have spots on mine from using it so much any idea how to clean them?