Favorite children's book from when you were a child?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by shyam09, Mar 7, 2017.

1. shyam09 macrumors 68020

shyam09

A little trip back to nostalgia land occurred earlier and well here I am...

Here are my top lists in no particular order:

• Amelia Bedelia
    • Dr. Seuss
    • Frog and Toad
    • Little Critter
    For chapter books:

• The Boxcar Children
    • Ramona series
    • Fudge collection (Judy Bloom - like Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, Double Fudge, etc.)
    • Harry Potter (if that counts?)

And then special shout out to Calvin and Hobbes (comic). My childhood was filled with tons of crazy shenanigans inspired by Calvin, much to the disappointment of my parents (lol).

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Harold and the Purple Crayon. The original.
    Pale Green Pants With Nobody Inside Them - Dr. Seuss

And then I moved onto Shakespeare.

3. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Curious George
    Where the Wild Things Are

About third grade I discovered the Three Detectives series.

4. brewmonkey macrumors regular

Professor Wormbog in Search for the Zipperump-a-Zoo

I've been reading it for 30+ years and continue to get almost the same feeling I got the first time I read it. I've been reading it to my six month old daughter regularly and can't wait until she starts identifying the characters and story and we can share it together.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As a kid, I remember enjoying a Yankee in King Arthur's Court, Moby Dick and any thing from Jule's vern. As I got older I gravitated more to science fiction

6. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I wouldn't call it a children's book, but my Dad use to read them to me before bed: Aesop's Fables. They're simple enough for a kids to understand.:cool:

After a couple of fables, he would jump to Sir Author Conan Doyles famous detective series: Sherlock Holmes.:confused: Umm.. a bit too heady for a 8 year old, Pops.:rolleyes: Because of that, I got hooked on mystery novels in high school. Thanks Dad.:cool:

7. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    "Wings Over the Woodshed", any of the "Rooty Kazooti" series. And MOBY DICK, the Movie with Gregory Peck, scared the Livin Ba JESUS out of Me

8. bradl, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Oh my.. where to start!

Any book in the Encyclopedia Brown series, by Donald J. Sobol. I could read those all day.
    Any book in the Choose Your Own Adventure series. I have a good 150 books in the series, though there are more out there now, as they restarted the whole series again.

After that, the first book I ever had: Curious George Goes to the Hospital, by H.A. Rey.
    Finally, after that, the first book I ever read by myself: Katy No-Pocket. I was 5 when I read that by myself, and was ecstatic when I found another copy of it, after it had been out of print for years.

BL.

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Frog & Toad
    Where the Wild Things Are
    Where the Sidewalk Ends

Anything by Gary Paulson
    Everything Calvin & Hobbes

10. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

One of the earliest books that I remember really impacting me was A Wrinkle in Time. It struck a real cord about being unique and embracing individuality, dealing with loss, there being something beyond the mundane (the latter was really tapped into by Rowling in the HP novels).

Pretty excited about the 2018 film.

11. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

12. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

An old out of print book called "Piccoli". The artwork was quite astounding.

13. MechaSpanky macrumors 6502

MechaSpanky

When I was really young my favorites were "Hand, Hand, Fingers Thumb", "Green Eggs and Ham" and "Stand Back the Elephant is going to Sneeze". I'm also like Bradl, I read many of the Choose Your Own Adventure books! Great stuff.

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I enjoyed a lot of Roald Dahl and Paul Jennings (not sure how common his books were outside AU/NZ). My favourite was probably "Matilda"; I'd love to re-read it but one of my parents threw it out :(

15. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I read Wrinkle when I was in grade 6. It got me started on a lifetime of reading science fiction.

16. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

30D9A8D8-FD66-47B9-B338-13CF5065132F.jpeg

As a matter of fact Ping watches over the living room from on top of the grandfather clock.

439BD7EE-8302-4C07-A00D-35144C117AC2.jpeg

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

A few come to mind, but there are many more: Dr Suess for sure - wonderful books, and Harry Potter, (but I did not read Harry Potter as a child but as an adult).

Enid Blyton was one of my favourite authors as a child; I read probably hundreds of her books.

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Then, there are others: Black Beauty (an astonishing book, and passionate about the care - and rights - of animals, it certainly had a profound effect on me); The Wizard of Oz (an absolutely charming and brilliant book).

19. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

If I say Biggles does it say mean I'm old?

But the Famous five, Hardy Boys and secret seven all come to mind.

20. Mefisto macrumors 6502a

Mefisto

I remember reading this over and over again when I was a little tyke. Up until a few minutes ago I had no idea what the original title was, but now I do. So thanks for starting this thread.

[​IMG]

I think I still have the book somewhere, have to go look for it when I get a chance.

EDIT: And yeah, I wasn't a child in the mid 1800's, but read this as a child. Just so we're clear.

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, I remember Biggles.

I also have fond memories of Around the World In Eighty Days (Jules Verne), and The Prisoner of Zenda (Anthony Hope).

Re Enid Blyton, I loved The Five Find-Outers, the Adventure books (Castle of Adventure etc), and the Barney Mystery (Rub-a-dub, Rilloby Fair, etc) books.

22. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Oh, wow, I remember The Poky Little Puppy! I think there was one illustration in there that always made me really hungry…

EDIT: I found it and, in hindsight, don't really know what seemed so appetizing about that strawberry.

Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 2.54.36 PM.png

23. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

In truth a lot of these were my dads books that I read. But I enjoyed them as a child before I got into other fantasy and Sci Fi as a teenager.