Favorite extensions for browser

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GrumpyGeek, Jan 29, 2014.

1. GrumpyGeek macrumors regular

Hello Fellow Macrumors,

I was just wonder what are your favorite extension for your browser of choice?

Thanks
    GG

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Firefox Browser

1. 1 Password: Password and identity manager for Mac, Windows, IOS & Android.
    2. Google Shortcuts: Display all Google services as buttons or as a space-saving dropdown menu next to your address bar. Reach services like Gmail, Google reader, Google maps, Google calendar, and many more in a single click from your browser.
    3. Firefogg: Video & audio encoding for Firefox.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

4. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

I use Firefox. My three essentials:

Adblock Plus -- How can anyone do without this? It's spectacular!
    1Password -- Automatically insert those userids and passwords! Whew!
    Ghostery -- See and block web browsing trackers (e.g. ad networks). Sure are a lot of 'em.

Adblock Plus is what has always kept me on Firefox. (Well, that and general lazyness.) I understand there's an Adblock for Safari (by a diff. developer), but the last time I checked (quite awhile ago) it lacked the blocking list subscription feature, which I've found key to my happiness. Now I don't have to enter/maintain blocking rules, someone else does it very competently, for free!

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

For Safari:

1Password
    ClickToFlash

For Firefox:

1Password
    FlashBlock

I get tired of all the Flash that loads on some pages.

6. Xe89, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014

Xe89 macrumors regular

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Here is my list - I have to say I highly recommend "Unread->Tabs" - basically with a Ctrl-Click and select the option it will take all unread threads (i.e. those with new posts), and open each in its own tab, simply brilliant for form reading...

Attached Files:

8. Bear macrumors G3

There's a beta of Adblock Plus for Safari now and the Adblock for Safari has used subscriptions for a while now. WHat's keeping me on firefox is cookie management.

9. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Thanks, Bear, good to know. And if I get tempted to switch to Safari now I'll know to check out the cookie management, too.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have been using the app Cookie for cookie management. Basically you check mark which cookies you want to keep (whitelist) and the app deletes everything else. I have it configured to run when I quit Safari. It also allows you to whitelist Safari local storage entries in the same way.

11. Bear macrumors G3

It looks interesting, but it leaves a few questions. Can you configure it so cookies for some sites are kept until they expire, some are kept for the session (until browser quit) and some totally blocked (or removed right away)? Firefox allows for all three.

Also, it looks like it runs as a separate program instead of a browser extension. Is that correct?

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have used Firefox (quite a while ago though), so I am familiar with those options, and Cookie is much more limited. All it does is list cookies on your system and you go through and check the box next to the cookies you want to whitelist. If it not on the whitelist, the cookies get deleted. You can configure to delete every XX minutes or on browser quit. It also automatically IDs tracking cookies and optionally deletes them.

It is a separate app that runs as a menulet.

The dev. has a free trial if you want to try it out.

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601