Favorite game developers?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by spyker3292, Oct 28, 2007.

1. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

So what are your favorite game developers? I'd have to go with Epic, because Unreal and Gears of war are awesome, Nintendo, because their games have great stories and are always good, and Bungie, because well... it's bungie.

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Insomniac, since Ratchet is awesome, Spyro was awesome and Resistance was pretty good.

Square back in the day was awesome, FFXII was great but other than that i'm not too huge on them anymore.

Nintendo since they basically carry their systems and make some amazing games.

Incognito was great, Warhawk GoW are sweet so hopefully Jaffe does well with his new studio

and Valve because HL2 and everything attached to it is a.m.a.z.i.n.g

3. spyker3292 thread starter macrumors 65816

Square is great.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Insomniac - R:FoM, Spyro, R+C Series
    Ubisoft - Tom Clancy Series
    Nintendo - Mario/metroid games..the mario factory shines bright
    Naughty Dog - Jak series...
    Konami/Team Silent - Silent Hill Series, MGS Series
    Sony Studios - SoTC, ICO, Forbidden Siren, Mark Of Kri, Primal
    Capcom - SF series, RE series, Dead Rising, Haunting Grounds
    Incog - Warhawk, sly cooper series

Some of my favs...

I have to mention Tecmo for the beautiful Fatal Frame/Project Zero Series.

I'm a big fan of survival horror games.

Bless

5. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Valve. Because HL2 is the best.
    Nintendo. They seem to get gameplay right. Probably helps that they have Shigsy, the best game designer this side of everything.
    I used to like Rare up until Starfox Adventures and Factor 5 till Rebel Strike.

Can I say Retro? Though they've only given us 3 games.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I still like Rare.

Really enjoyed Starfox Adventure. A damn site more than the Namco Starfox game, that was brutal.

Perfect Dark Zero and 32 player infection was utterly fantastic.

Kameo is a great and beautiful original IP and one they enhanced with the co-op play download.

Viva Pinata is utterly underrated and dismissed because of its looks (much like Zelda Wind Waker) and yet is a fantastic game and one which has sucked hours out of my life.

And I'm really looking forward to Banjo Kazooie :)

-----

Other developers. The guy's behind Fahrenheit / Indigo Prophecy, and I'm really looking forward to their PS3 title 'Rain'

Nintendo - generally produce high quality stuff, but then often pawn out their material IP's to third parties who butcher it, except Sega's F-Zero.. that was the best F-Zero ever.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Heh, I was thinking about putting down Sega just for F-Zero. But it doesn't excuse their other games.
    The pawning out sometimes works. Personally I find the Capcom Zelda's to be a little lacking compared to the Nintendo originals.

9. spyker3292 thread starter macrumors 65816

Sega has some good old games.

10. pcypert macrumors 6502

Rare for me.

And they don't push out anything of great quality but I'd have to say I've spent a better portion of my life playing different EA games through the years. The developers we love to hate...but I have to have some Fifa :)

Paul

11. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

another easy contender would be the creative assembly for their total war series

13. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Going back a couple generations, Rare made some great games; Perfect Dark for example.

The only system I play now is 360 so I might be a little biased, but just referring to games on the 360:

Capcom: I loved Dead Rising, probably still has the best achievements list of any game. I had super high hopes for Lost Planet after they released the demos, it did a fall a little short because of game play problems but still overall a very well put together game.

Epic: Obviously with Gears of War. That was the first game that really had all the elements put together perfectly: Visuals, game play, sound, great co-op, etc.

Bungie: I am a pretty big fan of the Halo series. While Halo 3 might not be the game it was hyped-up to be, it is still a ground breaking game with many new features to the console. But the Halo series is a solid series; incredible story telling that makes it feel epic but still relate able.

14. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I'm surprised that EA is not on the top of everyone's list. They put out a ton of games that many, many people buy and play.

I'm a huge fan of Capcom, Ubisoft and Nintendo.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Epic lulz

16. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Sense the sarcasm, no? :D

And what does "Epic Lulz" mean? This is something relatively new that only, just recently, started appearing in posts on MacRumors and other forums. Where did it come from and what does "lulz" stand for? I'm assume it is some kind of variation on LOL...but I may be wrong.

17. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Capcom
    SNK
    Treasure
    Konami

Put me on a desert island with a crate full of games from those 4 companies and my custom/self made arcade joystick and you'll never hear from me again. :D

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

From the 'Urban' dictionary

'rodger' that !!! :D

19. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Nintendo, there games are just to much fun to ignore....Bungie is good too...also they seem to know what their fans want.

20. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Nintendo would be my favorite dev. I'm very impressed with Square Enix, but their style just quite isn't my preference (too many repetitive, generic fantasy cliches), but the games they make that I do like I absolutely love (Kingdom Hearts).

Capcom and Sega are companies whose products I love, but have gone downhill in recent times. Sega more so than Capcom; the Sonic games rank among my favorites of all time, but the new ones are all crap.

21. nines macrumors member

Troika Games. It's shame they are no more. For me there wasn't a game as entertaining and refreshing as Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. I would recommend this game to anyone who hasn't tried it yet. The graphics are fine, it is using the Source engine.

Otherwhise it would have been BioWare for the Aurora Toolset what came with Neverwinter Nights or LucasArts for their early games like Day of the Tentacle or Monkey Island.

22. irbdavid macrumors regular

irbdavid

Best: Valve, always.

Worst: 2k. Bioshock was a fantastic failure. Such potential, great story. Let down horribly.

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I totally forgot about Taldren!

One of my favorite developers was Taldren. They made the Starfleet Command series. The devs were active on the forums, and they had a very active community on their own site, providing tools for people to create their own mods and answering questions.

One time, the CEO, Erik Bethke, promised he would eat dirt if a certain patch wasn't released by Thursday. The patch got delayed. So, they took pictures and made a little documentary with him hunting for a clean patch of dirt, then mixing a little water in, microwaving it, and drinking it. Plenty of pictures of each step. The CEO actually ate dirt and posted it on the forums and website. Those were devs that really reached out to the fans.

After the Star Trek license moved to Activision, Activision had a "one patch policy" and got into a series of disputes with Taldren. Fans were frustrated because of some glitches and poor balancing on the third Starfleet Command game, so Taldren created another patch anyway, and Activision didn't want them to release it. It got into a weird situation where Activision and Taldren were pushing different patches (so depending whose update tool you were using) and the game communities were split, and some other disputes arised and Activision blocked Taldren from releasing future Star Trek games, which was their bread and butter. One of their other projects was never completed in time and the company fell apart. :(

24. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

As a whole, these are my favorite:
    Lucas Arts - but only before they turned into a Star Wars suckfest and lost all of their talent.
    Looking Glass Studios :( - without them, ID -- not too mention pretty much the entire industry -- wouldn't have jack!
    Blizzard.

In the age of game-play, before EA consumed all of the little guys like Bullfrog etc., they had some good titles. :)

For consoles I like Nintendo the best, since they really made it all work.

<]=)

25. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Since we're in the Console forum, I only listed my favorite console developers.

I would definitely add Blizzard to my list if we're also including computer game developers.