Favorite gmail account now has tons of spam... :(

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MusicEnthusiast, May 23, 2012.

1. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

I was dumb one day and saw a pop-up of what looked like a YouTube raffle after I logged into my youtube/gmail account and ever since then I get about 6-7 spam emails a day sent to my spam inbox. I guess it doesn't really matter because I don't ever see them, but when I click the "more" icon it always annoys me to see 200+ unread after a few weeks. It is really annoying when I actually use my email to sign up for something that I will use, and that message accidentally finds its way into the spam folder and I have to search through a ton to see if it's even there... Is there a way I can stop my incoming spam ever again? These spam sources come from all over, all with different "click here to unsubscribe" links. It would take an eternity to click them all and be consistent for future spam emails.

2. buddda macrumors newbie

I know the feeling, its as if my email address has been.... tainted.

Two options.

Hide your spam folder and forget about it.

or set up a filter in gmail for the address of the spam you recieved to move them straight to trash.

3. astrorider macrumors 6502

I only unsubscribe to emails from trusted companies. Unsubscribing to unsolicited spam is just telling the spammers they've got a valid address.

4. damiengolding macrumors newbie

I know this fear so well. Every year or so I end up changing my main e-mail address due to spam and other issues.
    This is probably the biggest issue with the e-mail system. I hope a suitable solution is created one day to quickly and easily stop spam.
    Ideally, what could be done now is an easier to use filter system to distinguish between spam and useful e-mails without sending half of your important messages to the spam box with actual junk mail.

If anyone knows of any tips, please let me know:)

5. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I thought Gmail was good with at handling spam. Maybe if they're all coming from the same address you can set up a filter and get rid of it that way.

6. MusicEnthusiast thread starter macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

I wish they all came from the same address. Some are from DeVry, others from Zoosk, Blockbuster, Cruise liners, LOTS about car insurance, random gift card winnings, etc. All these skip my inbox by default without setting up a filter and are sent to my spam box. So in that sense gmail does a good job, but I want the spam to go away, for good. :\

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

They can be clever that way too.

But in the end they have to get your attention with the Subject line, or you won't even open it. And that's where you get your filter information from.

8. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

I once started getting spam a few weeks after signing up for a Facebook account. Yes, I did hide my email address from everyone, that was the first thing I did upon signing up.

9. ellaimac macrumors regular

You should try Hotmail/Windows Live. It has something called "Microsoft SmartScreen" that detects spam and deletes them after 10-30 days (kinda weird that I joined a restaurant promo to get a 4 and MSFT detected it as spam) so sometimes it could be tricky if you sign up for tons of restaurant promos, the promo i joined was from a flyer in real life, I also constantly dine at that restaurant but this is the first promo I've joined.

10. JSadler macrumors newbie

I have a hotmail account that gets enormous amounts of spam...thanks for the tip. Gonna look into it this afternoon.

11. qijianjonathan macrumors member

12. samiwas macrumors 65816

I'm pretty sure there is just no way to make spam go away completely. You can set up filters, you can let gmail do what it can. But to make yourself never receive spam? Nearly impossible. About the best you can do is to have a separate email address that you use for anything outside of personal communication.

Give this website a read...it has some tricks.
    http://www.spamprimer.com/

13. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I just make a new email address if it all gets too much. I get fan/hater/crazystalker mail more than anything nowadays.

14. MusicEnthusiast thread starter macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

Thanks for the tips everyone. Luckily gmail is awesome and already filters everything spam-related. I'll make do. I was just so fortunate to get zero spam emails before this stupid YouTube fiasco.

I have already created a live.com email for future business work, and my .edu university email (linked with Google Apps) is still "pure" from spam.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I get spam on my gmail account, it does a good job of sending it straight to my spam folder. Every few days I just go through and delete them without opening them.

16. rbkruspe macrumors newbie

Yeah, what's worse is when yahoo groups will pollute your inbox even if its set to a daily digest. My local free cycle has a rule about getting mail. Why should I have to look at mail from a group I'm not involved in hardly ever, but sometimes...? It's a pita to log into yahoo on iOS also so I endure that. I mostly hate legit stuff that keeps bugging about deals and sales. Avon is on my last nerves with their spam and I thought I might want to sell Avon, now I am reconsidering it just on account of the excessive spam about their sales multiple times a day. My inbox has been at 11,500 for awhile. I just can't get rid of it fast enough. I just am ready to start it all over with a new account too. The gmx/aol idea is a bit much for my adhd brain to deal with though. I feel the pain though. :mad: