Favorite iPad apps?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sumone, Aug 12, 2011.

1. sumone macrumors regular

Just got a 16GB iPad 2 for my birthday today :D
    Any recommendations for apps that I should download?

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

with no information about you or what you plan to do with it? i don't know. you can't go wrong with dropbox, evernote, kindle, and ibooks. beyond that, i think you'll want to give us a bit more to go on and/or search the forums for the gazillion other threads about favorite apps :)

3. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Advice:
    1. Get the free ones. If you don't end up liking them then just delete.
    2. Start with the most popular in the app store and move down that list looking for anything that interests you.
    3. google "best ipad apps" or something like that if you want articles on people have "decided" on the best paid and free apps.

4. sumone thread starter macrumors regular

Good point i'm looking for mostly game apps or just other fun apps in general like the Drums app etc. I wanted to ask because I have had an iPhone for a few years now so I am familiar with the app store but most of the apps I download were for productivity so i'm pretty good with those apps but I haven't gotten too many "fun apps". I try looking at the popular app list every so often but those rarely seem to interest me.

Some of the few apps I have found to like were random ones recommended by friends that weren't exactly "popular" but were still fun nonetheless so that's why I wanted to hear some suggestions from the community, to learn about some more obscure apps that people enjoy.

5. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

Weather HD is absolutely stunning and is generally my nightstand app and then I use clock pro for my alarm. Weather HD is worth the price GUARANTEED.

ESPN Scorecenter is great as well, provides the notifications for all of my sports and also gives play of the day and news.

The Weather Channel app is the most accurate in my use for weather, it is very easy to use and quick to browse interface.

Words With Friends Free/Paid(just removes ads) is a great game to play if you know other people that have iOS devices or even if you don't. It's basically scrabble, but with kick ass online.

Real Racing 2 HD is the most high def game that I own and provides a good racing game to kill a few minutes to a few hours. It carries a hefty price tag that I think is worth it.

CNN is a great news app that has a very photo and graphically base interface. It also is great for getting the breaking news notifications.

Dictionary is wonderful because you don't need to be online to look up a word and gives a great reference when you need your definitions.

Then there are the two others that require subscriptions:

Hulu is wonderful for watching TV and I don't really care for netflix, not sure why. This app is sure to be a good friend when waiting around or traveling and finding some wifi in for example an airport. You need Hulu Plus to use it though.

The Daily is the best newspaper app on the App Store and provides such a good experience that only iPad users can have it. Updates every single day, like a normal paper would do and has great sharing and discussion features. $40 a year is a steal for this app.

I have plenty more, but I think that is enough to start. Also, all of the ones mentioned by palpatine are great to have on the iPad as well.

6. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Start with AppStart and AppShopper, they'll point you to plenty else.

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

i see. well, i wish i could help, but i don't have fun with the ipad :)

8. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

Within the last few weeks or so i've been enjoying Asphalt 6, Deadlock, Death Rally, SpiritHD, and Veggie Samurai -- also, if you subscribe to Bright House Networks, Time Warner Cable or Verizon FiOS it's worth downloading WatchESPN - free ESPN/2/U/3 on your iPad!

9. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

Start by browsing the Top Free Apps.

My favourites/most used are Car & Driver, Zite, Angry Birds Trilogy, ScoreCentre XL and iMuscle.

10. ChristianJapan macrumors 68040

ChristianJapan

11. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

It's sucks that espn doesn't support directv

----------

Yes, infinity blade is a stunner